LL-L "Resources" 2002.01.17 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 01:18:11 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.JAN.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.01.17 (02) [E]

>Subject: English Dialect Recordings
James asks:
>So do we have to go to the British Library or the University of Leeds to be
>able
>to have access to any relatively sizeable collections of audio material?
>Seems
>like there should have been a phonograph series of dialect speech, or
>something
>along those lines, by this time.  Still, I guess people with such interests
>can
>always take comfort in being on the leading edge of something!  A leading edge
>that seems to have existed for well over a hundred years...

I think it would be worthwhile you asking whoever has the masters and
copyright about their digitization plans!  There is a lot of money
sloshing about right now for digitization, and for archives (rather than
libraries or museums), the participation of 'users' in project design
and implementation seems to be highly valued ... The searching
aids/indexes, for example, could come under Access to Archives phase 2
(A2B) ... www.a2a.pro.gov.uk.

We here are a 'user group' who could constitute a 'user group' under the
terms of lottery funding.

Best wishes to all,

Pat
(who isn't even going to let the merest possibility of a Culture 2000
bid speculate about crossing her mind)
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk