LL-L "Resources" 2002.01.18 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 00:05:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JAN.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Roger Thijs" <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.01.13 (03) [E/L]

> From: "Roger Thijs" <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> I replaced these once more, for a few days, with a poem, a song and a
> joky story from over the German border.

I replaced, for a few days, with 3 "spoken sketsch acts" in respectively
Limburgish, Brabantish and (West-)Flemish. These tracks are a bit longer
than song tracks and take more megabytes.
Putting the 3 together though gives an opportunity to compare the 3
Southern language variants.

1. Limburgish
URL http://www.euro-support.be/temp/detroep.wma
3.6 Mb 7:32 min
track 1 (Conférence Het Leger) of 6 from CD:
"Jos Ghysen, Conferences"
CNR Music 2101966 EAN 5-411530-019663
in the variant of Hasselt, the capital of (Belgian) Limburg.

De "troep" is the army (Dutch: het leger)
Consistent with it's capital status, Hasselt upgraded its dialect with
more Brabantish (e.g. "patat" for "jatappel") and French vocabulary than
the surrounding villages.

2. Brabantish
URL http://www.euro-support.be/temp/woorden.wma
2.6 Mb    5:29 min
track 9 ("Woorden en Spreken", Charel Janssens en Co Flower) of 10
from CD
"Hier spreekt men Antwerps"
Dureco 11-64412 EAN 8-711211-644120
in the variant of Antwerp, capital of the province with the same name.
(with some proverbs in Dutch in the sketch)

3. (West)-Flemish
URL http://www.euro-support.be/temp/avles.wma
2.8 Mb 5:58 min
track 2 ("Avondlessen" / "Brugse Bilden", G. Poupaert) of 9 from CD
"Hier spreekt men Brugs"
Dureco 11-64422 EAN 8-711211-644229
in the variant of Brugge, the capital of the province of West-Flanders

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Unfortunately, lately we do not hear very much about North Frisian in this
forum, not terribly much about Westerlauwer ("West") Frisian either in fact,
not to mention nothing Sater (East) Frisian.

I thought some of you might be interested in viewing a web page on which I
display the anthem (hymn, "Üüs Söl’ring Lön’") of the North Frisian Isle of
Söl'/Sylt, with the original Frisian text side by side with my English
translation ("Our Homeland Sylt"), and you can listen to the tune (my MIDI
file) as well.  There is also a brief introduction to the island and its
linguistic and cultural heritage.  Please also check out the links on the
bottom of the page if you are interested in Söl'/Sylt, especially in its
_Biikebrennen_ ceremony.  One of the sites has RealAudio files of live
recordings of public singing of the anthem during one of the _Biikebrennen_
ceremonies, even video clips.

The URL of my anthem page:
http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/sylt-anthem.htm

As many of you know, the Söl'/Sylt Frisian is the northernmost of the
remaining insular North Frisian varieties.  Among its most striking features
are the development of /d/ to palatalization (e.g., _Lönd_ > _Lön'_ 'land',
_hölden_ > _höl'en_ 'to hold', _höndert_ > _hön'ert_ 'hundred') and the
realization of older /ð/ (which used to be and sometimes still is written as a
barred _d_) to [r] (e.g., _Tið_ > _Tir_ 'time', _Liðen_ > _Liren_ 'people',
_Staiðer_ > _Stairer_ 'steds', 'places').  Perhaps we have subscribers who can
explain this better and in more detail.

In translating the anthem I felt on somewhat shaky ground toward the end,
especially in the last verse in which I do not completely understand the 5th
line.  I wonder if anyone among you can help me interpret it.  Ose Köster's
German translation is not helpful in that it lacks this particular passage.
If you can help, please write to me (sassisch at yahoo.com).

Of course it is most convenient to view the original and the translation side
by side on the web page.  However, for those of you for whom access to the Web
is inconvenient I will append the text below.

[Note: The "dolmens" (Danish _gravhøje_, German _Hünengräber_, Low Saxon/Low
German _Hünengräver_, Drenthe Low Saxon and Dutch _hunebedden_) mentioned are
neolithic gravesites found in wide areas of Denmark, Northern Germany and the
Eastern Netherlands.]

Enjoy!

***

ÜÜS SÖL'RING LÖN'

1. Üüs Söl'ring Lön', dü best üüs helig;
   Dü blefst üüs ain, dü best üüs Lek!
   Din Wiis tö hual'en, sen wü welig;
   Di Söl'ring Spraak auriit wü ek.
   Wü bliiv me di ark Tir forbün'en,
   Sa lung üs wü üp Warel' sen.
   Uk diar jaar Uuning bütlön' fün'en,
   Ja leng dach altert tö di hen.

        Kumt Riin,
        Kumt Senenskiin,
        Kum junk of lekelk Tiren,
        Tö Söl' wü hual'
        Aural;
        Wü bliiv truu Söl'ring Liren!

2. Di Seewinj soong me litjem Suusin,
   Hur ik üp Söl' üs Dütji slöp;
   Fan Strön' jertik dit eewig Bruusin,
   Üs ik bi Mooters Hun' jit löp.
   Ik haa di Stairer al bihöl'en,
   Diar jens üüs Jungens Hemelrik,
   Di Teft ön Uursem, fol fan Krölen,
   Üüs Spölplaats bi di Bosk üp Dik.

        Kumt Riin,
        Kumt Senenskiin,
        Kum junk of lekelk Tiren,
        Tö Söl' wü hual'
        Aural;
        Wü bliiv truu Söl'ring Liren!

3. Üüs Taachten hual' jit fast omslüngen,
   Wat üüs fan litj ap wert en lef:
   Üüs Terp, hur wü tö Skuul jens gingen,
   Üüs Mark, üüs Hiir', di Wai bi Klef,
   Ark Stich, hur wü üs Jungen ronen,
   Ark Stegelk, diar aur Eeker gair,
   Di Hooger, hur wü Biike bronen:
   Hat es jit ales üp sin Stair.

        Kumt Riin,
        Kumt Senenskiin,
        Kum junk of lekelk Tiren,
        Tö Söl' wü hual'
        Aural;
        Wü bliiv truu Söl'ring Liren!

4. Di Hooger se sa stolt wü liien;
   Üüs Fuartirs Kempers wiili diar;
   Ual' Tialen weet üüs jit tö siien,
   Wat ön forgingen Daagen wiar.
   Üüs Fuarfaarn haa fuul hön'ert Jaaren
   Jir pluuget en jaar Aarber dön,
   En uun wiar-s, fiir aur See tö faaren;
   Man Söl'ring bleev-s üp See en Lön'.

        Kumt Riin,
        Kumt Senenskiin,
        Kum junk of lekelk Tiren,
        Tö Söl' wü hual'
        Aural;
        Wü bliiv truu Söl'ring Liren!

5. Üüs Söl'ring Lön, dü best üüs helig;
   Dü blefst üüs ain, dü best üüs Lek!
   Gair-t aaft üp Warel' uk forskelig,
   Üüs Spraak en Wiis auriit wü ek.
   Let altert, wan ön frügelk Stün'en
   Wü fan üüs Ailön' sii en sjung,
   Üüs lööwi: Wü wel, truu forbün'en
   Üüs Söl'ring frai döört Leewent gung!

        Kumt Riin,
        Kumt Senenskiin,
        Kum junk of lekelk Tiren,
        Tö Söl' wü hual'
        Aural;
        Wü bliiv truu Söl'ring Liren!

                   [Thomas Hübbe, Chr. P. Christiansen]
***

OUR HOMELAND SYLT

1. Our homeland Sylt, to us you're sacred;
   You are our own; you are our joy!
   To your old ways we cling with fervor;
   We won't forget our Sylter tongue.
   We'll be attached to you forever,
   As long as we live on this earth;
   And those that moved onto the mainland
   Cannot help yearning for you there.

        Come rain,
        Come sunny days,
        Come gloomy or cheerful times,
        We cling to Sylt
        Eternally,
        Remaining faithful folks of Sylt!

2. The ocean wind sang, soughing softly,
   When as a child I slept on Sylt.
   From the beach I heard the ceaseless roaring
   As I was led along by mother's hand.
   I still remember all the places
   That were heaven for us youngsters then,
   Abloom with thrift the meadow by our house,
   Our bushy playground on the dike.

        Come rain,
        Come sunny days,
        Come gloomy or cheerful times,
        We cling to Sylt
        Eternally,
        Remaining faithful folks of Sylt!

3. Our memories keep holding on to
   What we have treasured since our childhood days:
   Our town in which we got our schooling,
   Our fen, our heath, the sea cliff's path,
   Each lane we children used to run on,
   Each trail, that led us through the fields,
   The dolmens where we lit bonfires ...
   It's all still where it used to be.

        Come rain,
        Come sunny days,
        Come gloomy or cheerful times,
        We cling to Sylt
        Eternally,
        Remaining faithful folks of Sylt!

4. Dolmens are standing there so proudly,
   Our ancient warriors' last abode.
   We'll always know to tell our children
   Of ways things used to be before.
   For centuries have our forebears
   Plowed, toiled and struggled in this place,
   And frequently they sailed the high seas,
   Faithful to Sylt on sea and land.

        Come rain,
        Come sunny days,
        Come gloomy or cheerful times,
        We cling to Sylt
        Eternally,
        Remaining faithful folks of Sylt!

5. Our homeland Sylt, to us you're sacred;
   You are our own; you are our joy!
   The world may go through frequent changes,
   But we keep holding on to our tongue and ways.
?  [Let altert,] when in merry [?] hours
   We talk and sing about our island home.
   We promise we will stand together
   And go through life as unbound folks of Sylt!

        Come rain,
        Come sunny days,
        Come gloomy or cheerful times,
        We cling to Sylt