LL-L "Etymology" 2002.01.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 00:12:30 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JAN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Etymology"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> _Fulmar_ is supposed to be of Scandinavian origin; e.g.,
> Icelandic _fll_ --
> e.g., 'fulmar' in Modern Scandinavian: Danish _mallemuk_,
> Norwegian _havhest_
> "sea-horse" (family of _stormfugl_ "storm-bird"), Swedish _stormfgel_
> "storm-bird").  (Dutch has _noordse stormvogel_ "northern
> storm-bird", German
> _Eissturmvogel_ "ice-storm-bird".)

The Danish is interesting because the Scots for "fulmar"
is "mallemoke" or just "mallie".

The common gull - that's the same as English "sea mew"?
Or is "sea mew" an anglicisation of "sea maw"? - anyway,
it's also referred to as a "loch maw" in Scots, as well
as just "maw". To tell the truth, I only realised a few
years ago that "sea maw" was Scots rather than English!

We had a word "pickie maw" when I was a child - I just
looked this up and apparently it's the black-headed gull,
but I wasn't aware of any such fine distinctions in my
childhood!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he