LL-L "Resources" 2002.01.23 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 23:51:24 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Resources"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Resources
>
> To those of you who do not already know and are curious enough to find out
> what typically happens during this celebration, what kind of a creature a
> "haggis" is and how it is hunted, prepared and consumed on Burns
> Night and any
> other night or day, I recommend the following pages:
>
> *  The Format for a Burns Supper
>    http://www.rabbie-burns.com/burnssupper/

Nicely-styled site - I'm somewhat horrified (actually I can
express it better in Scots - "scunnert") by the form of the
Selkirk Grace given on the site. I don't know where it comes
from but in my Burns book it's exactly like this:

Some hae meat, an canna eat,
    An some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat an we can eat,
    An sae the Lord be thankit.

Without interfering with Burns's grammar one way or the other,
this can be comfortably recited in Scots like this:

sVm he: mi? @n 'ka:n@ i?
@n sVm wad i? D@? wQ:n? I?
b@? wi: he: mi? @n wi: k at n i?
@n se: D@ lo:rd bi 'Ta:NkI?

As always, you can pronounce the glottal stops as /t/ if you'd
rather. The length of the word "we" is due to emphasis.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.