LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.01.27 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 22:02:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Expreszo" <expreszo at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: Zeelandic words

Dear Lowlanders,

For one of my next columns, I would like to write about similarities of
Zeelandic words with French, German or English words. The words are
completely different from original Dutch.
Maybe you can help me a little to find more similarities.
For example:
(Z) Tegère: (E) Together: (D) samen
(Z) murpels: (E) marbles (D) knikkers
(Z) impersant: (F) en passant (D) tegelijkertijd, terwijl

When someone wants to learn to speak Zeelandic, they often first learn
this sentence:
"De huus gooie mie kluuten over 't dek van 't 'uus naè de puuten in de
dulve."
It would be nice to find the similar words in German, French or English
or in other languages/dialects of the Lowlands.
A translation into Dutch says:
"De kinderen gooien met kluiten modder over het dak van het huis naar de
kikkers in de sloot."
In English I need some help, for I do not have a dictionary:
"The children are throwing mud over the roof of the house to the frogs
in the ......" (in French this last word is "fossé")

But there are other words I find very interesting to know wether there
are similarities:
(Z) lange: (D) pakken
(Z) verabbezakken: (D) uitwonen, kapot maken
(Z) druksjes: (D) dropjes
(Z) glad   (D) helemaal
(Z) doâken (D) zometeen, dadelijk
(Z) stremien (D) vergiet

Well, this would be enough material for a series of columns. So if you
can help me, I would be very thankfull.

Margot

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Above, Margot asked for equivalents in other language varieties.  Below
are those I can think of in Northern Low Saxon (Northern Low German,
here NLS) comprising about the northern 2/3 of the northwestern Low
Saxon language area east of the Netherlands border.  I will add SAMPA
phonetic transcriptions in square brackets ([ ])and also Dutch-based
spelling in parentheses (( )).  I'll also give Standard German (G)
equivalents.

> (Z) Tegère: (E) Together: (D) samen

(NLS) tosamen (touzaomn) [toU'zQ:m:], tohoop (touhoup) [toU'hoUp] ~
tohope (touhoupe) [to'hoUpe] (< _to houpe_ "in a heap")

(G) zusammen, gemeinsam

> (Z) murpels: (E) marbles (D) knickers

(NLS) Marmels (maarmel) ['ma:ml=s], Mardels (maardel) ['ma:dl=s],
Kullers (koellers) ['kUl3s] ~ Kullern (koellern) ['kUl3n], Löpers
(luipers) ['l9Ip3s], Gimmels (gimmels) ['gIml=s], Picker(s) (pikker(s))
['pIk3(s)], Knicker(s) (knikker(s)) ['knIk3(s)]

(G) Murmeln, Marmeln

> (Z) impersant: (F) en passant (D) tegelijkertijd, terwijl

(E) while, whilst

(NLS) wielt (wielt) [vi:lt], wieldess (wiel des) [vi:l'dEs], wieldem
(wiel dem) [vi:l'dEm], mitdess (mit des) [mIt'dEs], bides (bie des)
[bi:dEs]

(G) während, währenddessen

> "De huus gooie mie kluuten over 't dek van 't 'uus naè de puuten in de
> dulve."
>
> "De kinderen gooien met kluiten modder over het dak van het huis naar de
> kikkers in de sloot."
> In English I need some help, for I do not have a dictionary:
> "The children are throwing mud over the roof of the house to the frogs in
> the ......" (in French this last word is "fossé")

(E) "The children are throwing chunks/balls of mud over the roof of the
house toward/at the frogs in the ditch."

(NLS) "De Kinner/Göörn smiett mit Muddklüten över dat (~ 't) Dack na de
Poggen in de Slood/Sloot."
(Dei kinner/guirn smiett mit moedkluutn euver dat (~ 't) dak nao dei
pogn in dei sloud/slout.)
[dEI 'kIn3/g9.i3n smi:t mIt 'mUt,kly:tn= 9:v3 dat (~ t) dak nQ: dEI
'pOgN= in dEI sloUt]

> (Z) lange: (D) pakken

(E) seize, get hold of

(NLS) (na ...) langen ((nao ...) laangn) [(nQ:) ... la.N:]
(also _langen_ 'to suffice')
(intransitive with _na_: 'to reach for')
(transitive also _... een langen_ 'to hit ...', 'to give ... a
blow/smack')

(G) nach ... langen 'to reach for'; langen 'to suffice'

> (Z) verabbezakken: (D) uitwonen, kapot maken

(E) wear out, run down (transitive)

(NLS) slieten (slietn) ['sli:tn], kaputt maken (kapoet maokn)
[ka'pUtmQ:kN=]

(G) verwohnen, abnutzen, kaputt machen

> (Z) druksjes: (D) dropjes

(E) (Amer.) (hard) candy, (Brit.) sweets, (Austral.) lollies

(NLS) Bolten (boltn) ['bO.ltn=], Boltjen (boltjen) ['bO.ltjen], Bontjes
(bontjes) ['bOntjes], Buntjes (boentjes) ['bUntjes], Boltjes (boltes)
['bOltjes]

(G) Bonbon(s), (Missingsch) Bontjes, Bontschies

> (Z) glad (D) helemaal

(E) completely, entirely

(NLS) heel un deel (heil oen deil) [hE.Il Un dE.Il], ganss un gaar (gans
oen gaor) [ga.ns Un gQ:3], up un daal (oep oen daol) [?Up Un dQ:l]

(G) völlig, ganz und gar

> (Z) doâken (D) zometeen, dadelijk

(E) immediately, promptly

(NLS) foorts (vourts) [fo.Urts], stracks (straks) [straks], up de Steed'
(oep dei stee(d)) [?Up dEI ste:.(d)], stantepee (stantepee)
[sta.nte'pe:]

(G) sofort, umgehends, prompt, auf der Stelle, stehenden Fußes

> (Z) stremien (D) vergiet

(E) shed (v.), spill (v.)

(NLS) spillen (spiln) [spI.ln], verschüdden (verschudn) [f3'SYdn=],
keideln (kaidln) ['ka.Idln=], keudeln (koidln) ['kOIdln=]

(G) vergießen, verschütten