LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.01.28 (07) [E/German]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 21:38:16 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JAN.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Lexicon"

Margot wrote:

> But I'm afraid that is the wrong translation. I think the right one
> should be something like Lacorice or Lakritz (the spelling can be
> completely wrong). In French it is rglisse.

Scots for "liquorice" is "sugarally" ("sugarelly" in my
dialect). The first part of the word is pronounced the same
as the (Scottish-)English "sugar", though I believe that can
vary by dialect.

I've been coming across the expression "sugarally water"
in various texts in Scots recently. I can remember my
grandmother talking about this (she called it "sugarelly
water", of course), and I think she said it involved
dissolving liquorice in water somehow. Does anyone know
the recipe?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.
                          - C.W.Wade,
                    'The Adventures o McNab'

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Sandy,

This "sugarally water" water of your grandmother's sounds suspiciously
close to what is called _Lakritzensaft_ in German and _Lakritzensapp_ in
Low Saxon (Low German) of Germany.  Basically, it is a licorice tea that
is made from the plant (_Glycyrrhiza glabra_) and is traditional
medication for treating digestive disorders as well as breathing
disorders (including allergies) and also kidney or general urinary
disorders.  This tea or tincture, as also genuine chewable licorice, are
to be used with caution, especially by males (for some hormone-related
thing -- estrogen?), but also females ought to be careful with it
because the substance is dehydrating and also deminishes potassium
levels.

Re English "licorice," please bear in mind that there are is a
separation in German and Low Saxon: (1) _Süßholz_/_Söötholt_
("sweet-wood," the plant _Glycyrrhiza glabra_), and (2)
Lakritze/Lakritz, the chewable, gooey substance made from the plant and
additives.

When I was a child, I and my playmates would go out of our way to avoid
artificial licorice, and we would go to pharmacies to get the real,
"good" stuff ... including _Salmi_, small rhomb-shaped things that we
would stick with saliva onto the backs of our hands in intricate
patterns and lick until they had dissolved ...  Once in a while, someone
would get and share a piece of the actual wood of the plant (usually
smuggled out of Hamburg's duty-free port), and we would chew it to
ingest the juice the way you chew sugar cane, but I always found the
taste somewhat nauseating.

===start quote===
SÜSSHOLZ
Lat. Glycyrrhiza glabra
Trad. Indikationen:  Allergien, Magenkrämpfe, Dickdarmentzündung,
Gastritis, Magengeschwüre, Bronchitis, Bronchialasthma, Husten,
Nierenschwäche, antiviral ...
Sammelgut: Wurzel
Zus.: Kapsel, 100 % Glycyrrhiza glabra rhizoma
Heimisch im Mittelmeergebiet, in Mittel- und Südrussland, Kleinasien bis
Persien. In Süditalien wird die Pflanze in grösseren Mengen feldmässig
angebaut. Der Lakritzensaft ist uns allen als Hustenmittel bekannt. 1946
beobachtete ein holländischer Apotheker, daß Süssholz bei Magenkranken
eine sehr gute Linderung brachte. Universitäten bestätigten seine
Beobachtungen. Die Wirkung der Süssholzwurzel ist in etwa mit derjenigen
von Kortison (entzündungshemmend, schmerzlindernd) vergleichbar.
Glycyrrhizinsäure und Aglykon, beschleunigen gemäss klinischen Studien
das Abheilen von Magengeschwüren. Die Ursache der Magengeschwüre sollte
analysiert und an deren Beseitigung gearbeitet werden. Süssholzwurzeln
sind der Ausgangsstoff für Lakritze und werden in grossen Mengen
verarbeitet.. Vorsicht: Süssholz soll nicht zu lange, oder in zu hoher
Dosis verwendet werden. Ein Kaliumverlust und ein gestörter
Wasserhaushalt könnten die Folge sein. Nach Absetzung von Süssholz
werden diese Symptome (Wasserödeme) verschwinden.
===end quote===
(http://www.sanat.ch/deutsch/suessholz.htm)

===start quote===
Liquorice Extract was known in the times of Dioscorides and appears to
have been in common use in Germany during the Middle Ages. In 1264,
Liquorice (apparently the extract, not the root) is charged in the
Wardrobe Accounts of Henry IV. Saladinus, who wrote about the middle of
the fifteenth century, names it among the wares kept by the Italian
apothecaries and it is enumerated in a list of drugs of the City of
Frankfurt, written about the year 1450.
<...>
Cultivation on a small scale has existed in England for a very long
time. It appears from Turner's Herbal that it was cultivated in England
in 1562, and Stow says 'the planting and growing of licorish began about
the first year of Queen Elizabeth (1558).' Gerard, in 1597, tells us
that he has plenty in his garden. It was known to and described by
Culpepper who says: 'It is planted in fields and gardens, in divers
places of this land and thereof good profit is made.'
<...>
Culpepper says:
'The English liquorice root shoots up several woody stalks, whereon are
set, at several distances, many narrow, long green leaves, set together
on both sides of the stalks and an odd one at the end, nearly resembling
a young ash tree sprung up from the seed. . . . This, by many years of
continuance in a place without removal, and not else, will bring forth
numerous flowers, standing together spike fashion, one above another
upon the stalks in the form of pea-blossoms, but of a very pale blue
colour, which turn into long, somewhat flat and smooth pods, wherein is
contained small, round, hard seed. The root runneth down exceeding far
into the ground, with divers smaller roots . . . they shoot out suckers
in every direction, by which means the product is greatly increased.'
===end quote===
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/l/liquor32.html