LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.01.30 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 00:10:32 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "CA L" <stju at pinn.net>
Subject: eating wood

I took special interest in Roger's use of "krieskoek" which I believe is our
version of "creosote"  - An oily liquid with penetrating odor,
obtained by distilling wood tar, used to preserve wood and in cough medicines"
GK kreo- from Kreas (flesh) and soter (savior) < sozein -
save  (Webster's).  This reminded me of my mother as a child,
who was hooked on licorice, which was often locked up out of reach, so she and
her little friends peeled the
creosote off of the bottom of telephone poles and ate that instead - She said
they couldn't tell the difference.

Am having the best time with Scots. Can you offer more published works to
read?
Susan Wilkinson