LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.01.31 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 22:13:19 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.JAN.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.01.27 (05) [E]

Beste Lieëglanners,

I think there is a little misunderstanding regarding Margot's list of words.

The last word that she mentions "stremien" ("vergiet" in Standard Dutch) is
not the verb "vergieten" but a noun that is used for a specific sieve.
This cooking utensil is primarily used to separate water from vegetables (or
also spaghetti). There's a lot of tiny holes in the bottom that enable the
water to leak.
The same word "stremien" is also used in the western part of Flanders, but
here in Brabant I usually hear the word "verzijp" (rather pronounced
"verzaëp").
The second part of the word is derived from the verb "sijpe(le)n" ("to seep"
in English). This same verb brought forth another frequently used word in
Brabantish, "zep", meaning "a gutter". Another word that can be heard for
the same tool is "te(e)ms" (< medieval Latin "tamisium"...I remember that my
former high school teacher of Dutch told us that our flemish city called
"Temse" (on the left bank of the river Scheldt) was linguistically related
to the english river Thames...moreover he said that both rivers must have
been confluent a few thousands of  years ago...I haven't verified his
statements yet though *s*).

As for the similarities ((B) stands for Brabantish) :

(Z) lange = (B) lange(n) (for example in "aflangen" : take the phone off the
hook, take a small heap of cards away from a deck of cards (whist); also in
"aanlangen" : to assault a girl or a woman) = (D) pakken
(Z) glad =  (B) grat (apart from this word, one can also hear "gieëlegans" <
"geheel en gans" = "ganz und gar" (G)) = (D) helemaal
(Z) tegère = (B) allegàà (< allegaar < altegader)

Margot, other similarities between Zeeuws and English (or Low Saxon) could
be :

schremen ~ to scream (instead of "schreeuwen" in Dutch)
hille ~ hill (instead of "heuvel" in Dutch)
tee ~ toe (instead of "teen" in Dutch)
komm(e)n ~ to become (instead of "worden" in Dutch)
pit(te) ~ pit (instead of "put" in Dutch)

I'm not sure if these words are still in use in Zeeland though, but they are
in certain parts of western Belgium.
Your sentence about those kids throwing mud could sound something like this
in Brabantish :

"De(i) kinnere (also : joengere or joechters) smaëte (also : roeie) mé
klotte moeëter (also : moor) over 't dak nàà de vösn in de grècht"

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Luc wrote (above):

> (Z) lange = (B) lange(n) (for example in "aflangen" : take the phone off > the
> hook, take a small heap of cards away from a deck of cards (whist); also > in
> "aanlangen" : to assault a girl or a woman)

In Northern Low Saxon (Low German), too, _anlangen_ ('to seize', 'to get hold
of') or _anfaten_ (to touch') can be used to mean 'to molest/abuse sexually',
oftentimes (originally used euphemistically) denoting 'to rape', especially
_anfaten_; e.g., _Wen hett de Deern anfaten_ 'Someone has molested/raped
the/that girl'.  In this context, _Gewalt andoon_ ("to attack with brute
force," _Wen hett de Deern Gewalt andaan_) leaves no doubt that it is rape.