LL-L "Help needed" 2002.07.07 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 02:24:25 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JUL.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Correction.

Beste leeglanners,

A mistake sneaked into my last message. The phrase :

"...It happens quite frequently that an "f" becomes a "t", like in..."

should have been :

"...It happens quite frequently that an "f" becomes a "ch", like in..."

Sorry for that.

Entry #70 "to give" in the Swadesh-list, would be "geven" in Brabantish
(geven-gaf-gegeven, but also gegoven in Southern Brabantish).

The fact that I introduced two words for "we" (E), notably "me" and
"waële"
stems from the fact that Brabantish has both an unstressed and a
stressed
version for each of the 6 persons :

I (E) ~ 'k ~ ik
you (E) ~ ge ~ gaa
he (E) ~ a (but in some cases also "en" ~ ij   /  she (E) ~ ze ~ zij
we (E) ~ me ~ waële
you (E) ~ ge ~ gaale
they (E) ~ ze ~ zijle

Examples :

1) "I want you to do that" would be " 'k Wil da ge gaa da düt" if I want
stress that it's you and only you that I would like to see perform a
certain
action. However, if I would like to make very clear that it's me (and
nobody
else) who is ordering this I'd say
" 'k Wille (k) ik da ge da düt".
2) "We're going" could be translated as "Me zen waële weg".
3) "Has he done that ?" would sound like "Eit 'n ij da gedaan ?"

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx