LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.07.09 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 23:47:58 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JUL.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Amalgam.

Beste leeglanners,

When I wrote "Goed a oren vullen" (nasal o), in a previous message I was
somehow
aware of the fact that one could (mis)interpret "oren" as "ears" (E).
But
that's an error unfortunately.
The pronounciation of "oren" (D), "ears" (E) in Brabantish is something
like
"oeër(e)n'; whereas "aderen" (D), "aders"(D), "veins" (E) sounds
completely
different in Brabantish; more or less like "aoren" (with a dark, heavy,
long
o-sound originating in the back of one's mouth).
So thanks for your remark Holger, but in this case it is certainly the
word
for "veins" that is used, but with another (older) meaning. A typical
sentence could be "Eit daa goe zön aore koejne vuln op dei fiëst" ~
"He's
had the opportunity to eat plenty of food at that party".

Earlier on, I mentioned a book that partly deals with Saxon immigration
in
Flanders, but I couldn't exactly recall the authors. I looked it up and
here's the information :
Editors = Danny Lamarcq & Marc Rogge (they collected a number of
articles)
Title = De taalgrens. Van de oude tot de nieuwe Belgen
ISBN = 90-6152-9603
Primarily it deals with how the linguistic border came into being in
Belgium. Amongst other subjects, the Roman creation of a "Litus
Saxonicum"
in Flanders (Oudenburg and present day Boulogne playing a central role)
is
discussed.

Well Ron, as I'm back home now, one of these days I'll start working on
blurb for Brabantish.

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks, Luc!  Good to know you got home safely (and hopefully no worse
for wear), and good to hear from you no matter where in the world from.

I look forward to your blurb.

"The other Luc" (Vanbrabant - sorry about mispelling his name earlier)
sent me a West Flemish version of our welcoming page.  However, I've
been too busy to process and post it so far, which does not mean I don't
very much appreciate it.  I'll announce it when it's up.

Yes, folks, keep the blurbs coming!  And we could do with some
translating help, including help with German, French, Spanish and
Portuguese.  Some of us have been working our little fingers raw ...
both writing *and* translating.