LL-L "Life science" 2002.07.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 19:31:05 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JUL.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Life science

Oops!  Sorry, this one just went out under the wrong heading
"Etymology."  Resending it gives me an opportunity to add my own quarter
Euro's worth to Sandy's response (resent below).

I feel that we are talking about here is a never-ending process.  By
this I mean that there is no point at which humans will know and
understand all there is to know and understand, which also means that
sometime in the future people will be grinning about our current
scientific insight (or the lack of it) the same way we grin about those
at different times and in different cultures.

Western medical scientists still dismiss and even ridicule Chinese
acupuncture, pointing out that its theory is not in synch with our
understanding of the nervous system and that it is therefore nothing but
voodoo and its supposed successes are merely imagination, psychosomatic.
But, of course, this leaves the question why acupuncture works on
animals, at the very least relieves pain in animals as well.

Sandy rightly points out how past perceptions -- now considered faulty
and ridiculous -- are reflected in our language(s) (e.g., "gathering
darkness").  I would propose that it also works the other way around,
sort of.  Let me rephrase this by saying that past perceptions reflected
in linguistic expressions help to reinforce or prolong these perceptions
among non-scientists.  Such expressions handed down to us with our
languages tend to influence our perceptions of the natural world,
including of our own bodies, their functions and tribulations.  Even now
we still use the word "(catch) cold" (and equivalents in other
languages, such as _Verköhlen_ in Lowlands Saxon and _Erkältung_ in
German), and many, if not most, of us still believe that all you really
need to "catch a cold" is to be out in cold weather, insufficiently
protected.  Even though a cure for the "common cold" has not yet been
found, we do know that the causes are different (namely those normally
invisible creatures people couldn't even imagine not too long ago).  My
mother-in-law used to get very annoyed with me when I told her that
standing in the cold at the bus stop alone did not cause her "cold,"
that she had caught it from other people -- and she would say, "So why
is it called a 'cold' then?"