LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.15 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 20:32:06 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUL.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>
Subject: "Etymology"

Hello Fiete, Lowlanders

Fiete wrote:

>But "angelos" is, as You wrote, New Testament Greek, and therefore
> >influenced by christianic thoughts and ambitions. I'd like to say, it
> >doesn't prove anything about the etymologic origin of our european
>angels.

But surely the New Testament authors didn't pull this word out of thin
air,
and it was part of the language before early Christians could have
influenced it.  And even if they did influence it, how does that exclude
it
as the origin?

>Thank You, Ysmael, for Your postings regarding angels. It's surprising
>(and-
>on the other side-  not!), how many different words there are for this
>christianic phenomene.
>But- I fear, all of them don't help me to find the special angel having
>been
>landed on any european airport at a time, long ago!

I must say, Fiete, I don't understand what your difficulty is.  The
English
word 'angel' is clearly ultimately derived from (Biblical) Greek
'angelos'.
My French-English dictionary translates French 'angelique' as English
'angelic'.  My English dictionary lists the origen of English 'angelic'
the Greek 'angelikos'(which has the feminine form 'angelika') and
actually
connects the Greek '-ikos' ending to '-ique' in French and some English
words influenced by French, and also to '-ic' in English.  'Ange' in
French
is probably derived from 'angelos' as well, but for some reason the 'l'
was
lost (or hidden), but reappears in 'angelique', much like the 'd' at the
end
of some Westlauwers Frisian words is lost, as in 'dea' meaning dead, but
reappers in inflected forms as in 'deade'.

I presume, although I cannot speak with any linguistic authority, that
words
resembling 'angel', wrt. spelling or pronunciation, in other European
languages are also derived from the Greek word.  The difference in
concept
between a 'European angel' and an 'angelos' in New Testament times is a
different story.

Randy Elzinga.
frisiancow at hotmail.com