LL-L "Demographics" 2002.07.15 (07) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 20:38:45 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUL.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Reuben Epp" <repp at silk.net>
Subject: Speakers of Plautdietsch worldwide.

Dear Lowlanders,

Below I list a crude assessment of the numbers of speakers
of the Low German/Low Saxon dialect known as
Plautdietsch (Mennonite Low German) as nearly as I am
able to determine from available figures. My figures are
conservative guesses based on varying estimates received!

Plautdietsch Weltwiet:

    De veschiedne Lända wua Plautdietsch vondoagdendag
jerädt woat saumle nich Zohle äwa woo vääl
Plautdietschrädna doa wohne. Doawäajen worde de
foljende Zohle von veschiedne Persoone un Vereene
toopjebrocht. Oba, wiel de jesaumelde Zohle foaken nich
äwereen stemmde un uk nich 'offizial' weare, motte de
foljende Zohle aus onjenaue Schatzunge betracht woare:

Belize                               10.000
Bolivien                            35.000
Brasilien                             9.000
Deutschland                   150.000
Kanada                             50.000
Mexico                              50.000
Paraguay                            38.000
Russische Föderation            5.000
USA                                   20.000

    Wan dise Zohle toopjetahlt woare, kom wi opp 367.000
Plautdietschrädna weltwiet. Toojelote, daut jewesse Zohle
opplatzt nich huach jenuag jeschatzt send, kunn de gaunze
Somm opp 400.000 oda mea utkome. Unja dise Zohl
Plautdietsche, räde onjefäah de Halft dagdäajlich
Plautdietsch. En Latinamerika räde meist aule Mennonite
bloos Plautdietsch.

Aulet Baste

Reuben Epp

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Demographics

Thank you for the information above, dear Reuben.  It will come in handy
in the writing of the online "blurb" about Lowlands Saxon (Low German),
especially if we add a brief "sub-blurb" specifically for Mennonite LS
(Plautdietsch), for which a volunteer writer or team of writers would be
welcome.

Quite frankly, I am surprised to see that Germany has three times the
number of speakers that Canada has, but at second thought I ought not
be, considering developments especially after the fall of the Berlin
Wall and Germany's emigration/repatriation policy (which however does
not include ethnic Germans outside of the former Eastern Block).