LL-L "Morphology" 2002.07.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 23 15:15:45 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "David Elsworth" <david_elsworth at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2002.07.22 (02) [E]

Dear Reinhard / Leeglanners

I am writing in connection with the following e-mail received from Roman
Laryushkin.

Going off at a tangent slightly, would I be correct in thinking that Low
Saxon has a similar system of genders to the Dutch language? As far as I
can
gather, Low Saxon also seems to use common gender nouns as well as
neuter
ones.

Also, what system of genders does Frisian sunscribe to. I have had  very
little exposure to Frisian languages and am mystified by this aspect of
the
Frisian langauge.

Many thanks for everyones continuing cooperation.

David Elsworth.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi again, David!

Very, very roughly speaking, Lowlands Saxon (Low German) gender
assignment and treatment is similar to those of Dutch.  However, there
is no uniformity in this regard within the language.  Gender assignment
may differ from dialect to dialect, typically wavering between masculine
and neuter (e.g., _Schuur_ 'shower', _Kraam_ 'stuff'), once in a while
between feminine and neuter (e.g., _Spoor_ 'trace'), very rarely between
masculine and feminine or between all three genders.

There are only two definite article forms: /dei/ _de_ ~ /dai/ _dei_ and
_dat_ (~ _et_ ~ _it_).  The former is shared by masculine and feminine
nouns.  Most dialects have only one indefinite article form for all
three genders: _'n_ ~ /ein/ _een_.  Some dialects still use _'ne_ or
/eine/ _eene_ for feminine nouns.  Even though there is not that much
distinction regarding articles, nouns are referred to by their
respective gender pronouns: masculine /hei/ _he_ ~ /hai/ _hei_, feminine
/zei/ _se_ ~ /zai/ _sei_, and neuter _dat_, in a few dialects older
neuter _et_ or _it_.

Cheers!