LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 15:16:49 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: ihelin at mappi.helsinki.fi
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.24 (08) [E]

Erek, you are right about Finnish. According to Jorma Koivulehto
(writing in German and Finnish) we have an enourmous amount of old
Germanic
loans (more than 50 %, if I remember right) starting from weekdays,
societal structures etc. This naturally shows that Finns and Germanic
people have had tight contacts areally and on the human level as well.
There are scholars who claim that Grimm's law about stops is due to
the old Finnish phoneme system being adopted by Germanic languages
because of these contacts. Everybody has the freedom to believe this
or not (I sometimes wish I could), but [in Finnish 'mutta'!], anyway,
contacts
and communication are always mutual, even in war.

Besides, I'll organize a seminar of dialect translation and dialect in
multimedia next spring in Finland. If some of you are interested, please
contact me. I'll give more information about it on the list in due
course.

Best wishes to all

Irmeli Helin
irmeli.helin at helsinki.fi

----------

From: "Marco Evenhuis" <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.24 (07) [E]

Hi,

Probably way off track, but just in case: Zeelandic
has _bloke_ in the meaning of 'wooden shoe',
more specifically the type of wooden shoe fisher-
men wore when on land and outside their own
village. On their ships as well as in their own
villages, they were usually bare-foot.

regards,

Marco