LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.31 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 1 03:04:14 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.MAY.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.05.29 (01) [E]

>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Grammar

... explore the Lowlandic uses of 'to
>do' as an auxiliary verb. ...

Hello Ron, hello Lowlanders !

"daun da:jt 't le:ren" is the Eastern Friesland Low Saxon pendant to
English "learning by doing" but thats not all I want to tell.
You received my message telling about the meaning "to give, to fetch, to
offer...." for "daun" in Eastern Friesland LS.
The other, "normal" meaning is "to do" and it can also have a meaning
like "to do somebody a harm".
In EFLS we don't use "daun" to the same extent as in other LS variants.
You
may find some cases of emphatizing by use of "daun" (dat 't dor o:k
re:gen
da:jt hâr [h_a+accent-circonflexe_r*] 'k näit [n_a-Umlaut_i_t*] docht
- I
didn't think it is raining there, too) but these are exceptional.
Sometimes a postponed "de:" [the conjunctive form of "daun"] can
replace "wul" expressing a wish (wen 't man re:gen wul = wen 't man
re:gen
de:) but if preponed it is always "wul 't man re:gen", never: "de: 't
man
re:gen". The last use will be regarded as "wrong" or "ironical".
Much more interesting however is that "dón we:sen" or "dón hebben"
[d_o+accent-aigu_n*] have developed apart from their original meaning.
They
mark an event to be over, a work to be done and more like that as a
time-
aspect.
For example "nu: is 't singen dón" is a saying which means "it's over
now;
there is no more chance; there is no more left..."
"wen 't e:ten dón is" - after meal; "wen ji: 't e:ten dón heb(ben)t" -
after You finished meal.
"häi [h_a-Umlaut_i*] het dón" - he is ready, he finished.
"för [f_o-Umlaut_r*] fandoegh he' wi: 't dón" - we finished for today;
we
are ready with our today's work.
"wen 't gróven dón is, kööew [k_2xo-Umlaut_e_w*] tuwwels setten" -
as soon
as digging is done [unfortunately the English translation with "done" is
confusing] we can plant potatoes.
These "dón we:sen"/"dón hebben" forms seem to be perfect-tense but I
tend
to believe this as an error based on the forms of "daun" (to do)not
considering the special developement. If that is right they are
future-II-
tenses.

* a help if the letters aren't displayed correctly

Kind regards
Holger