LL-L "Language politics" 2002.06.04 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 17:29:06 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JUN.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Randy Elzinga wrote under "Semantics":

> Also, before I knew what people meant when they referred to Low German,
> was under the impression that it was some form of (High) German used for
> informal purposes, as opposed to German used for literary or formal
> purposes.  Other people with whom I have spoken about Low Saxon (Low
> German) have had similar impressions of the term "Low German".

That goes to show how well the propaganda worked, never mind that the
two descended from two different languages (Old "High" German and Old
Saxon respectively), used to be considered two separate languages until
about some time in the early 18th century (which is why Martin Luther
commissioned a Low Saxon bible translation) and is largely
incomprehensible to German speakers (including North Germans) unless
they are extensively exposed to it (like to any related foreign
language).  On the Netherlands side the dialects there used to be
officially considered dialects of Dutch until official recognition
(which is less absurd considering the close relationship between the
two).  Many Low Saxon writers in Germany still kept referring to it as
_Spraak_ (or German _Sprache_) even after the 18th century, especially
during the 19th century revival movement,* even throughout the "dark
era" (from the end of WW II till about 1980) when in many parts of
Northern Germany the language virtually went underground on account of
widespread disapproval and denigration.  Calling it a language is now
again considered completely kosher and even correct.  The people you
have communicated with must be poorly informed and behind the times,
considering that Low Saxon (Low German) has now been *officially*
declared a language in both countries for a few years now.

* See, e.g., Klaus Groth's poetry
(http://www.geocities.com/grothwarken/).