LL-L "Grammar" 2002.06.07 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 8 00:47:54 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JUN.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Grammatik" 2002.06.06 (07) [E/LS]

>From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
>Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.06.02 (05) [E]
>
>Ron, Leeg- un Lowlanders,
>oder:
>"Hei is tau wegloopen"
>(Dann ist er weg gelaufen)
>(Then he run away; [perhaps: "immediately"))
>
>Ditt "tau" kunn obers ook'n "door, in disse Wies, Tiid" ween, dí±Ží¸´ mi.
>(Das "zu" kí¹ºí¾´e aber auch, ví¹²í¼©g anders als vorher, bedeuten: "Da,
>damals,
>dann")
>("tau" could be very different from "to do": "then, at that time").
>
>'n Oobend
>
>Fiete.

Hello Fiete !
I tend to believe this "tau" isn't the infinitive-mark but corresponds
the word "do:" in Eastern Friesland LS meaning "at the time when; in the
past; when.
Some examples:
"dat was do: as 't so: 'n bu:stergh we:er west het" (it happens at the
time
when the weather was so bad)
"do: ji: mi: sachent, le:p' ji: wegh" (when you saw me you ran away)
"Tau" in EFLS normally is the infinitive-mark but we know one different
use:
School-children say about their homework: "dat he' wi: tau möergen up"
(that we have to do for/until tomorrow);
"häi het hum tau möergen nöyeght" (he has invited him for tomorrow).
In our
region this has moved into informal German as "zu" replacing "für":
"Das haben wir zu morgen auf"; "er hat ihn zu morgen eingeladen".
In EFLS we often find auxiliary-verbs like "stón" (to stand) or "gón"
go) with an infinitive:
"wat sta:jst du: dor tau blaubekken ?" (why do you stand gaping ?)
theoretically this could occur with "daun" (to do), too but thinking it
over I can't find any example.

Regards
Holger