LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.06.09 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 01:48:06 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JUN.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Neal W. Welsh" <zooman at inreach.com>
Subject: Origin and Center of Appalachian

Actually, I posted this querymore than a week ago, your moderator (?)
replied that the question had been referred to someone else for an
answer.  In that time none has been
forthcoming.  Has this old neophyte missed something?  I really would
like to know as much as I can about the origin and center of the
language.  Thank you.

    THE ORIGINAL E-POSTING:

Howdy Y'all!
    Not to appear pretentious but I hail from the Shenandoah Valley of
Virginia in the Front Royal (birthplace, 1938) and Strasburg (through
7th grade) regions and would like to
know why the dying dialect (language?) of the oldsters there is known as
a distinct language, Appalachian.  I always thought it to be an American
english dialect somewhat
corrupted by Elizabethan expressions.  What is considered the origin and
regional center of this language?  Where would one find a comprehensive
glossary and rules of grammar?
Your reply and suggested web sites would be appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Neal W. Welsh

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Dear Neal,

I am not quite sure what posting submission you referred to above.  I am
not sure either whom I referred it to.  All I know is that you applied
for subscription today and I subscribed you this evening.
Non-subscribers do not get to post to the List.

So, welcome!  And I hope your question will be answered satisfactorily.