LL-L "Names" 2002.06.16 (03) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 16 18:49:58 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUN.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: Edwin Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.06.15 (02) [E]

At 08:24 PM 06/15/02 -0700, Ron wrote:
>What's in a name anyway?
>By the way, I believe that Reinhard (as in Reynard, the sly fox in the
>medieval Dutch and Low Saxon story) is Saxon, somewhat related to
>English Reginald ... ragin + hart = something like "solid
>counsel(lor)/advisor" (not "pure heart" as assumed by most German
>speakers).

Funny, I would have imagined <regin + ald>, with the <ald> the same as
in
<her-ald>, the "old man of the army".  Another source says that it is
"powerful ruler".  My own name, Edwin, is a mystery to me as well.  This
same source says that it means "valuable friend", but other
possibilities
are "friend of wealth", "wealth winner", "friend of the oath", and more.

Ed Alexander
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada