LL-L "Literature" 2002.06.18 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 14:28:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JUN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Marco Evenhuis" <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2002.06.17 (03) [E]

Ron asked:

> From which year is the earliest Dutch version?

There are in fact two 'Dutch' (Flemish) versions of
Reinaert. The oldest is 'Van den Vos Reinaerde', which
dates back before a Latin translation by Balduinus
Iuvenis from 1271. There are five known manuscripts
of the Dutch/Flemish version of the fox-tale, the oldest
 three of them are not complete, the other two are younger
and known as the 'Dyckse handschrift' and 'Coburgse
handschrift'. No one knows the exact year this Reinaert
was written, but it must have been after the 12th century
Isengrinus (a tale in Latin from Ghent about a fox and a
wolf) and before the Latin translation from 1271.
'Van den vos Reinaerde' is in fact based on a story from
'Le Plaid', one of the branches of the French story-collection
known as 'Roman de Renart', but it is certainly not a trans-
lation of this story. The second half of the Flemish/Dutch
Reinaert is completely new and the characters are far more
outspoken than in the French story.

The younger Reinaert is the 14th century 'Reinaerts Historie',
that is almost twice as long as the original 'Van den Vos
Reinaerde' and is very moralizing. It isn't half as good as
'Van den Vos Reinaerde', in which Reinaert is a bit like a rebel
without a cause. In 'Reinaerts Historie', the fox is not
ridiculing the powerful, but he wants to be one of
them himself.

The Middle Low Saxon version from 1498 (Oldenburg)
that Ron mentioned ('Reinke de Vos') is a translation of a
late 15the century Dutch version by Heinric van Alcmaer.

The Ron mentioned Willem van Hildegaersberch. He was a
14th century 'sprokespreker', someone who performed as a
poet and a singer for, amongst others, the counts of Holland
(The Hague) and Zeeland (Middelburg). He wrote e few epic
poems based on the story of Reinaert. He probably died in
1408 and was very productive between 1383 and 1403, so his
Reinaert-poems are probably from that period.

A good starting point for more about all these translations
and authors is the 'Digitale Bibliotheek voor de Nederlandse
Letteren', www.dbnl.nl

Regards,

Marco

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Thanks for the information (above), Marco.

> The Middle Low Saxon version from 1498 (Oldenburg)
> that Ron mentioned ('Reinke de Vos') is a translation of a
> late 15the century Dutch version by Heinric van Alcmaer.

I thought it was from Lübeck (then Lubece, apparently a West Slavic
name) rather than from Oldenburg.

Perhaps you got confused because the website I listed was at the
University of Oldenburg.