LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.06.27 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 27 14:32:58 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Samples

Dear All,

Ron said:

>Say, Gary, aren't [v] and [f] options for _th_ in
>Estuary English?  Or
>is that considered sub-standard?

It would be just in the boundaries of Estuary, but
definitely at the London end of the scale. At my
school where I grew up, I can only remember one pupil
there that substituted v and f for th, and I know in
the cruel way of children that we used to 'take the
mickey out of him' - tease him.

My mother always used to correct me when I used this,
and also when I used a glottal stop between vowels, as
this wasn't considered 'refayned' enough. However,
since she never made comments about my glottaling of t
pre-consonantally, my difference in pronunciation
between 'board' and 'bored', or my l-vocalisation,
these are features which I've retained. It's only
since teaching English as a foreign language that I've
tried to reinsert my 'l's. (I have to admit though
that this means that I tend to be hypercorrect when
teaching at times and sometimes pronounce words like
'walk' with an l!)

The rules for f and v substitution would be as follows

th substituted by f in all positions, think > fink,
path > pahf

dh substituted by v when non-initial, mother > muvver,
bathe > bave

dh omitted when word initial, this > is, that > a?.

Also on the Swadesh list, I made a mistake, and I
wrote 'fat' as 'f@?' this should have been 'fä?',
sorry

Gary

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Gary!

The two places where I noticed /D/ -> [v] and /T/ [f/ were London and
Australia, among then young people (mid-1960s-mid-1980s).  In Australia
it did not seem to be an areal feature but a social one.

I'll correct the mistake on the list later today, will also add
Criostoir's Nottingham English items.  Holger's Eastern Friesland ones
are already up.