LL-L "Help needed" 2002.03.03 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 3 19:03:00 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Dracht

Beste Lieëglanners,

Another meaning of the verb "dragen" is expressed here in Brabant when
somebody is suffering from a wound that got infected. Nowadays, it is
still
said : "Dei wonne drààgt" or "Z'és ààn 't pörrn". Oftentimes this
involves
pus escaping the wound, and this substance was called "dracht" too.
These
days though, we rather use the word "mateer" for that matter (pun
intended).
We might say then : "Dei wonne trènt".
"Dracht" is also the "stuff that has collected in the corner of a
child's
eye after a night's sleep".

More frequently however, one could hear this :

"Da's een goei dracht vö de winter. 't Es 't open dat asn oëtkommen dàà
és,
da me ni mütte zégge : 't és lèk een ezelsdracht gewést" (D)

"That's a fine dress for winter. Let's hope that when spring is back, we
won't have to say that it's been like the pregnancy of a donkey..." (E)

[Something that takes ages (well actually 13 months I believe), before
it's
happening.]

Luc Hellinckx