LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.10 (02) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 10 18:16:26 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: <burgdal32 at mac.com>
Subject: ETHYMOLOGIE (?)

Dear lowlanders,

For some time now, there is a word that intreges me very much. It is
about
the word "stuite" or "stute" We use it for a slice of bread.
F.i.: dunne stuitjes snijden
      beuter op uw stuitjes doen
      een vierstute (bread we eat around 4 o'clock)
      vollaerdstute (koekebrood= bread prepared with milk)
My question is:
Do we find that word also in other regions of the lowland country's or
is it
just a typical word for West-Vlaanderen? I ask this because these words
do
not exist in Dutsh.

Meany greatings
Luc Vanbrabant

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Luc, Lowlanders,

I do not know what the etymology is, but I can tell you that in Northern
Low Saxon (Low German) we alsi use this word:

Stuten (['stU:tn=], Dutch spelling _Stoetn_, masc., pl. _Stuten_)
'sweet, cake-like bread (usually with raisins and/or currants)'

Studendag 'holiday'

Stutenweek 'holiday week', 'honeymoon'

Stutenbacker 'pastry chef', 'cake baker'

Stutenfro ~ Stutenfru 'itinerant female vendor of bread'