LL-L "How do you say ...?" 2002.03.15 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 21:23:52 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.MAR.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>

Kevin, Mike, Lowlanders,

Would the phrase "Best wishes..." be something like the "Hartlike
geluk..."
or "Herzlichen Glückwunsch..." in the respective languages?  Quite often
I've heard or read on birthday cards etc. phrases like "Best wishes on
your
birthday".  It may be a bit of a stretch, but you could say "Good luck
and
best wishes on your birthday" if you really wanted to include both the
"luck" and "wish" elements that appear in the (High) German and
Afrikaans
phrases.  In either case, one is not restriced to the phrase "(have a)
happy
birthday".  While we're on the subject of birthday greetings, what is
the
corresponding "standard" birthday greeting in Frisian?  I wanted to wish
someone a happy birthday in Frisian a while back, but I didn't think
that a
literal translation of "happy birthday" would have been correct.

Randy Elzinga
firisancow at hotmail.com

Original messages:

Mike:

Hi, Kevin –

I don’t have an answer to your question, but I can say that it’s not
only Hochdeutsch that has this statement. In Afrikaans we also say
“Hartlike geluk” or “Hartlike gelukwense met jou geboortedag.”

Kevin:

my students asked me where the statement "Herzlichen Glückwunsch
zum Geburtstag" came from in Hochdeutsch. I wondered how you say
that in the various languages from our list and if anyone knows why
Germans say "hearty (luck)wish for your birthday" whereas we say
in English, simply, (have a)"happy birthday"?