LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.03.16 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 01:32:56 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.MAR.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Eldo Neufeld <greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca>
Subject: slang

Ron, in your response to "lingoman," your explanation of your being
struck
by the young, impatient, male driver, makes on very grateful that it
wasn't
worse.
Regretfulness on his part sounds good, if only that would help other
drivers to learn.  I ride 100 km a week on my bike, mainly on city
streets,
and I can assure you Vancouver drivers are every bit as bad as Seattle
drivers.  The stuff one sees on the street is almost unbelievable if it
weren't so prevalent.

I hope your recuperation is rapid and complete!  All the best!

Eldo Neufeld
4040 Blenheim St.
Vancouver, BC   V6L 2Y9
Tel: (604) 738-4378
e-mail: greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativa

Thank you, dear Eldo.  Your sentiments and your support of Lowlands-L
are much appreciated.

I am quite familiar with traffic conditions in Vancouver, which can be
reached in only two and a half or three hours by car from Seattle
(though the new security measure have made for longer waits at the
border).  Seattle has now been ranked No. 1 on the list of U.S. cities
with worst traffic problems ...  When I visited San Diego and heard
people complain about their rush hour traffic, my reaction was "What
traffic?"  In Seattle, bad and aggressive driving of motorcars is
surpassed only by reckless riding of bicycles, the majority of bike
riders apparently operating on the assumption that no rules whatsoever
apply to them.

In fact, I was planning to visit your otherwise wonderful and exciting
city next weekend.  But there is now a question mark.  Much depends not
only if this late bout of snow falls will continue till then but also on
how I will be feeling by then and on the results of tomorrow's MRI
(tomography) to see if there are any hairline fractures and/or any
meniscus damage.  The accident was a close shave.  It could have been a
whole lot worse.  I take it as a reminder call.  I'm still here and
continue to take pleasure in being thine host at Lowlands-L.

Friendly regards to you and all other Lowlanders!

Let me take this opportunities to send warm welcome greetings to those
who joined us recently.  They live in Australia (Launceston, Tasmania;
Mount Isa, Queensland), Belarus (Minsk), Canada (Edmonton, Alberta),
England (Evesham, Kent, Wolverhampton), Hungary (unspecified), Latvia
(Riga), the Netherlands (Enschede, Gorinchem, Wemeldinge, Zutphen,
Zwolle; one unspecified), Russia (Moscow), Scotland (Aberdeenshire),
South Africa (Kimberley), and the United States of America (Deadwood,
South Dacota; Derry, New Hampshire; East Peoria, Illinois; Irvine,
California; Middle Grove, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania;
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; West Lafayette, Indiana; Salisbury, Maryland;
San Antonio, Texas; Waco, Texas).

Best wishes to all of you, "new" and "old"!