LL-L: "Expressions" LOWLANDS-L, 23.MAR.2002 (01) [E/LS]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 23 08:29:33 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.MAR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Helge Tietz [helgetietz at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Expressions" 2002.03.21 (01) [E/LS]

Reading this version of Low Saxon, obviouisly from
North America, I notice something which almost all
"colonial" Low Saxon dialects seem to have in common:
The pronounciation of initial "g" as a "j" (or in
English as "y" like in yesterday) whereas the
origional Low Saxon areas have a German-like initial
"g". I know that East Prussian had the "j",
Brandenburg has it. The dialect of Angeln (East of
Flensborg), origionally Soenderjysk (a Danish dialect)
speaking has an initial "j" sound as well sounding
similar to the flemish "g". But, I read as well that
in the origionally Low Saxon areas as e.g. Holsten
the "g" used to be pronounced like a "j" as well and
there are some left-overs as e.g. in the place name
Jevenstedt in Holsten which was origionally spelled
"Gevenstedt". I wonder whether this is simply due to
the fact that the origional Low Saxon areas have
changed while the colonial Low Saxon retained the
origional "g" sound or whether the colonial "j" is due
to other developments ?

  Please submit contributions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l" are