LL-L "Architecture" 2002.03.27 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 23:32:48 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.MAR.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Architecture" (was "Administrativa") 2002.03.27 (01) [E]

>So what's with those "Dutch" buildings in Brazil?  What is the story
>behind this?

This is a question of two parts, so easy bit first: what have the
Netherlands to do with Brazil?

Brazil was colonized by the Dutch, who were given rights to it by the
treaty of Tordesillas in 1492. The Dutch seized Bahia in 1623, but lost
it the following year. In 1630 the WIC sent a fleet of 30 ships, and
captured Inda, Recife and neighboring islands (in the Southeast), and in
1637 the captaincy (land-division of Brazil) of Pernambuco (on the
northern coast) became Dutch. The captaincy was renamed New Holland
(Greig 1987, 106-8). The colony collapsed in 1654 (Israel 1985, 107).

In addition to the colonial centres noted above, the Dutch were also in
contact with Palmares, an area settled by runaway slaves, which they
attacked in 1644 and 1645 (Funari 1999, 313). Orser (1996, 18-20)
suggests that 'The residents of Palmares were a mix of central African
Bantus, native Brazilian Tupinamba' Indians, dissatisfied Portuguese
colonists and outcasts, and perhaps a few Dutch rebels'.

In addition to Christian Dutch influence, there may have also been
influence through the Dutch Jewish communities.  In Brazil, sugar
manufacture was controlled by the Portuguese, often Jews, but the
transport to Europe was controlled by the Dutch (Parry, 1963, 260). In
1644, there were 1450 Jews in Recife, about a third of the white
population (Israel 1985, 106). The closeness between the Jewish and
Dutch communities can be seen in that after the collapse of Dutch
Brazil, many moved to the Dutch Caribbean colonies (Israel 1985, 107).

Second part of the question: what is a a 'Dutch' building?

Some Dutch architects are known to have worked in Brazil: Johan Maurits
built storehouses at Olinda and Paraibo (Greig, 1987, 108). Pieter Post
(1608/69) designed the Vrberg and Schoongeziicht Palaces (in Pernambuco)
for Johan Maurits, when he was governor of Brazil (Greig 1987, 67).
There was a tradition, alive in the 19th century, that Post had actually
visited the colony (Greig 1987, 113).

However, rather than looking at buildings with known architects who, if
born today, would have a Netherlands passport, I am interested in
buildings which were, or are, seen as 'Dutch'.  People say buildings are
'Dutch' when they have several of a group of features (think of a house
on the Herengracht, Amsterdam, and you probably have most of them).  One
feature, which I am particularly interested in, is the use of short wall
ties (muurankers).

I am interested in these buildings because I think there is an iterative
process here - the buildings are 'Dutch' because they are built by
'Dutchmen' (although that's a term which can include Indonesian slaves
...), and are built _because_ they are 'Dutch' (in preference to
'foreign' of whatever kind), and by their very presence contribute to
the sustenance of a 'Dutch' culture in colonies and trading partners.
Short wall ties (and, I might add, gable stones (gevelstenen) have a
particularly active role in this process because they have a narrative
function which tells and creates the identity of the builders and
occupants.

My thesis involves comparing the use and attributed meaning of 'Dutch'
buildings in colonial and trading partner contexts around the world.

I'd like to know, therefor if either of our Brazilian colleagues
identify any buildings as 'Dutch'.

Greig, D. (1987) The Reluctant Colonists: Netherlanders Abroad in the
17th and 18th Centuries
Funari, P.P.A. (1999) 'Maroon, race and gender: Palmares material
culture and Social Relations in a Runaway Settlement' in Funari et al
Historical Archaeology Back from the Edge
Israel, J.I. (1985) European Jewry in the Age of Mercantilism 1550-1750
Orser, C. (1996) A Historical Archaeology of the Modern World
Parry,  J. (1963) The Age of Reconnaissance, Discovery, Exploration, and
Settlement 1450-1650

I'm sorry - that's a long way of saying 'the Dutch were in Brazil, and
I'm curious about the long term impact of that'.

Best wishes to all,

Pat

(research student, Department of Archaeology, University of York)
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now, but just you come back in 500 years
time"
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Architecture

Thank you, Pat, for your exhaustive, erudite and interesting explanation
above.  I appreciate your having taken the time to share it with us.

I wonder how many "New Holland"s there have been in Netherlands colonial
history.  To start with, there are Brazil and my own "home" state of
Western Australia, not counting misnomers like "New Holland" in
Pennsylvania German country.

As far as I know, no "Dutch" architecture survives, if there ever was
any non-wooden structure, in Western Australia, the oldest surviving
building being the Round House, a British jail, now a heritage site, in
Fremantle, where I enjoyed living very much (not in the Round House,
though).

http://www.mekongmart.com/ToursAustralia/Text%20Fremantle%20Round%20House.htm
http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/things/attractions/round_house.asp
http://www.ghosts.com.au/ghosts_of_the_west_end.htm

However, some extremely interesting "Dutch" ship remains and many
superbly crafted 17th-century "Dutch" artifacts have been found along
the coast, most of which are exhibited in the older Fremantle Maritime
Museum (now apparently named "Shipwrecks Museum"), a visit to which I
recommend any visitor.

http://community6.webshots.com/photo/660592/660649
http://www.mm.wa.gov.au/Museum/toc.html
(http://www.mm.wa.gov.au/Museum/disp/dutch.html)