LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.29 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 15:39:24 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.MAR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Etymology"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> German _Ort_ 'place', 'spot' (> _Wohnort_ 'dwelling place', 'abode',
> 'place of residence', _wohnen_ 'to dwell', 'to reside')

I don't know if it occurs in Low Saxon or other Lowlandic
languages but Scots has a cognate to "Wohnort/wohnen", though
it's considered archaic and literary. It occurs as a verb in
Burns's "Scroggam":

"There was a wife wonn'd in Cockpen"

and as a noun in the Scots ballad "Puddy He'd A-Wooin Ride":

"Puddy cam tae the Moose's wonne".

Both of these can be found on ScotsteXt by searching for
"wonn* -wonner*".

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.
                          - C.W.Wade,
                    'The Adventures o McNab'

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Sandy.

So if Scots speakers read or heard the literal translation of German
_Wohnort_, "wonn airt" or "wonnin airt" (which I suspect doesn't really
exist as a legitimate word), they might understand it, at least within
certain contexts.  Do you think so?

Do you think this _wonn_ is derived from Old English, or might it be a
"Flemish" loan?  The German verb root for 'to dwell' or 'to reside' is
/voon-/ _wohn-_, Low Saxon /vaan-/ _wahn-_ ~ _wohn-_ ~ _waan-_, and
Dutch /voon-/ _woon-_.