LL-L "Resources" 2002.03.31 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 31 16:14:26 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.MAR.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

Andy, Lowlanders,
Re your new English-Scots online dictionary
(http://www.scots-online.org/), I wholeheartedly agree with Sandy:

> From: Sandy Fleemin [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Resources"
> A'v juist been tryin this oot an it really is awfu guid.
>
> A wonder if it wadna be a guid idea tae emphasize that it
> can be uized as a thesaurus as weel as a dictionar? Sayin
> it's juist a English-Scots translator is kin o sellin it
> short! "English to Scots Dictionary and Thesaurus" mibbie?

Your disclaimer at the site will alert people to the uses and
limitations.  Not that I intend to bother our Scots-speaking friends
with my "Scots" (a lot), but this dictionary/thesauraus *is* going to be
a great help in conjunction with the _Concise Scots Dictionary_, and,
indeed, it goes beyond mere dictionary use.

I tried it, and it worked really well, up to a certain point in time
when it slowed down and finally just sat there.  Too much traffic?

I think we need to seriously consider doing something like this for Low
Saxon (Low German) and other Lowlands languages.  Let's talk sometime.

Congratulations and thanks again, Andy!