LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.05.03 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 22:48:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAY.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.05.03 (04) [E]

I'd question the "history lesson" -- the war between the British and the
American Colonists is called the Revolutionary War because it was, well,
REVOLUTIONARY!  It was certainly not a civil war (which is defined as
internal war to take control of the existing central government of a
nation -- the Colonists sought independence from that government [in
London], not to take it over).  Renaming wars is usually not helpful.
The Wars of the Roses in England were "civil wars" in evry sense of the
term.  But when one speaks of the Civil Wars with regard to England, it
is not the Wars of the Roses that are referenced, but rather to the two
wars fought in the 1640s, the first between Royalists and
English/Scottish Puritians, and the second between Royalists (largely
Scottish) and the English Puritians, most especially the Independents
(or Congregationalists, as we'd call them today)

As someone who grew up in the Philadelphia area, and who visited Ontario
frequently, I never had any difficulty understanding the Canadians.  But
when I went to the Maritimes, I found the persons in New Brunswick in
particular to sound quite a bit like New Englanders.  Eastern NY and and
New England were heavily settled by East Anglians.  This is because they
were Puritans bent on setting up their own "Commonwealth".  Cities like
Boston derive their names from places in East Anglia.

That characteristic Anglo-Canadian "eh" doesn't appear to be
attributable to the Mid-Atlantic speech -- I never heard it around
Philadelphia, at least from the 1940s onward.