LL-L "Language politics" 2002.05.04 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat May 4 19:51:35 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAY.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2002.05.03 (08) [E]

You are, of course, right.  The French government (which, as the recent
first round presidential election demonstrated) is and will be composed
of many factions, and frequently doesn't represent even the majority
(the French are also quite prone to dramatic political shifts).  I
probably should have specified the government, though the effect on
minorities has often been harsh because the majority of the French
probably don't take the matter that much to heart.  Frankly, the "rise"
of extreme nationalists (e.g., Le Pen) may not bode well for
minorities.  Even if he doesn't win (and he's certainly not expected
to), his heavy vote may "pull" centrist and less strident rightists
somewhat in his direction; that is, to crack down on minorities, even
those who've been there forever and have always been part of the scene
(although it appears to me that most of Le Pen's nationalism is directed
toward new immigrants rather than ancient minorities).

Sorry for not phrasing it more exactly.  I suspect we Americans often
substitute the nationality for the government in speech, and we should
know better given how many of our own number dismiss one or the other of
our major political parties, and often take a "hands off" attitude when
the "other" party is in power and does things contrary to what "we"
think should be done.

Historically, however, the French government has been "unkind" to
minorities on a regular enough basis to cause emigrations (my
forefathers left the Tarn Valley rather hurriedly for the Palatinate in
1572).

I do keep up with the minority language situation in Europe, and I find
it pleasing that one of the strongest "minority" communities (the
multi-million Catalan speakers of Spain) recognise and publicise the
importance of keeping not only their own "minority" language alive, but
are in the forefront of recognising and publicising the need to
preserve, protect, keep up active interest and usage of other languages
which need all the help they can get to stay healthy.  After all,
successful languages are often just lucky or happen to have the
political upper hand.  In a sense, every "dialect" really ought to
accorded the full rights of a "language", because the "language", after
all, is really also a "dialect" in many cases.

Or so I feel.

By the way, this truly is a great group.  The participants are very
active, not afraid to ask questions or make mistakes (that's really how
learning occurs).  Thanks again for your efforts.

Erek