LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.10 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 10 23:58:46 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAY.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.09 (03) [E/LS]

>From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
>Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.08 (01) [E]
>Another word, I would like to discuss about: "Maulwurf" upper german,
>"mole" english, "Wí² í½·arp" of "Windwarp" opp plattdí²³í´³ch.

Moin Fiete !

In 't Oostfräisland säegent wi "muel" of "fröyt". Dat tweied is man
in
enkeld laughen tau höören - ik käen 't man fan 't Gro'fen
(Großefehn) in d'
auerker kuntraj. Dat word kumt fan "fröyten" wat bedüd fan (in 't
hoghdüüts) "wühlen", "planlos werkeln", of "ruhelos werkeln" un meer
fan dat sort.

kumpelment
Holger

Hello Fiete !

In Eastern Friesland we say "muel" or "fröyt". The second You just hear
in some single villages. It is derived from the verb "fröyten" which
means [(in German) "wühlen" etc.] "to rummage", "to burrow" but also
"to work without any plan", "restless working" and more in this
direction.

Regards
Holger