LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.13 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 04:45:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.MAY.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "luc.hellinckx at pandora.be" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Being stubborn...*s*

Beste lieeglanners,

Thinking back about a word for "stubborn" (E) or "halsstarrig, koppig"
(D), I realize I forgot to mention our most used term here in Brabant :

"boekig" ~ bokkig (D)

which is to my knowledge the principal word that is used when referring
to obstinate people or animals...a buck being believed to have a very
independent, unchangeable mind of its own...
Thinking further about "animals" and their drivers, another group of
three words
came to mind :

1) balorig (D) : which is composed of "bal" an ancient word denoting
"bad" (E), slecht (D), plus "orig" a derivative of "oor" (="ear"
(E))...thus litterally meaning : having bad hearing skills, in a more
symbolic way : not being very receptive to listening...later on it
started meaning "slightly rebellious"

2) balsturig (D) : composed the same way, and meaning : "being difficult
to steer" (originally always in reference to animals used to pull carts
or ploughs or other vehicles)

3) balmondig (D), ("belmundech" or something like that in
"Mittelniederdeutsch") : this is a favourite word of mine *s*...as it is
still used in my own dialect for handicapped people. The word is pretty
old and is now no longer used in standard dutch. "mondig" however still
is, but most dutch people tend to think (falsely) it is a derivation of
"mond" (D), "mouth" (E). Truth is that "mondig" used to mean "having the
power to sustain oneself" "having power, capacities and capabilities"
during the Middle Ages. And a disabled person obviously lacks certain
abilities by definition (maybe substituting them with sharper or better
trained other skills...I can't judge this as I'm not medically trained).
Anyway, another word that is related to "mondig" (which I seem to
remember is etymologically related to Latin "manus" = "hand" (E), (D),
(G)) is "montboor" (D) > "momber" (D) > "moemmer", meaning "voogd"
(D)...is that "step dad" in English ?

Off the record, because "skating" on shallow water in winter was
mentioned in one of the previous posts, I'd like to add that we say
"schofferdijnen" instead of "skating"...sounding more like the
"schoeffeln" that I read here...Just a reflection of mine : could
"schaats" (D), "skate" (E) and the like, originate in former Frisia ???
Sort of a so called inguaeonism ?
I could be completely wrong though, because "a ski" which originally was
"gescheiden hout" (D) also has a family member in my dialect : "een
schaar aat" where "schaar" ~ "schei(d)" (D) means a long stretch of wood
that has been cloven from the main piece of wood...

Regards,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.12 (01) [D/E/LS]

Luc,

Might the "-ligeur" be derived (perhaps through some other avenue ie.
French
as you suggest below) from some form of Latin "ligare" meaning "to
bind",
from which we get English ligament, ligature etc.  The Modern French
form of
this word is "ligoter", meaning "to tie up" and fig. "to bind"

Randy Elzinga.
frisiancow at hotmail.com

Luc H. wrote:

5) against the thread, against-brush-like, is "tegenligeur"...an exotic
sounding word that I have never been able to find any related words
for...but, which sounds like being derived from french "rigeur"
???...sometimes another term is used "krewellig" (adverb), but with a
slightly different meaning : exclusively said of somebody who is not
feeling at ease, who is slightly nervous, not acting "smooth", and
always looking for a path (even illegal and obscure ones) in order to
achieve his/her goal anyway...in short : a tormented machiavellist avant
la lettre ? *s*

Also this : an ant is "ne mierezeiker" in Brabantish...again the
connotation with urine...

Bye for now !

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Lone Elisabeth Olesen <baxichedda at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.11 (01) [E]

Hello all,

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> (5) wedderdäänsch ['vEd3dE:nS] ("against-Danish",
> "anti-Danish"?
>     < wedder _against_, cf. German _wider_)
> 'stubborn', obstinate',
>     'pigheaded' (used only in Mecklenburg dialects;
> elsewhere
>     _wedderbö(r)stig_ "against-brush-like" or
> _opsternaatsch_ ~
>     _upsternaatsch_ < French _obstiné_,
> _obstiniâtre_, or < English
>     _obstinate_?)

We must have had quite a reputation there :-) I don't
know the historical details, but the expression rings
a bell insofar that I read a old Lowsaxon folk tale
from around the area, and it began like this:

"Vör Tieden sünd in Ratzborg de beiden Dämm vör't
Lünebörger un Langen brücker Door dar noch nich west.
Do hett de Stadt ganz op'n Insel legen un is'n stark
Festung west.
In dat Johr 1693 hett de König vun Dänemark de Stadt
mit Kanonen bescheten laten, un do sünd veel vun den
kugeln na den Doom rinschaten worrn. De sünd dar hüüt
noch in, un op een Stell sitt se tosamen as de Kegeln
in en Kegelspeel, blots dat de König fehlt.
To de Tied is (bi de Hannöverschen) in de Stadt en
Mann west, de hett bannig goot scheten kunnt; do
schick se hen na de Dänen un leet ehr seggen, wenn se
eenen harrn, de in negen Mal na'nanner en ganz
Kegelspeel na den Doom rinscheten kunn, denn wulln se
de Stadt övergeven un de Dänen rinlaten."
("Dat Kegelspeel in'n Ratzbörger Doom", in "Launbörger
Dönken" Quickborn-Verlag, Hamburg 1993)

Sounds like there could be some sort of historical
explanation for _wedderdäänsch_ - the story tells
about an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow the town,
so even thought the cannon balls in the wall might be
just a good story, sounds like there might have been
some (stubborn) attempts on trying to take the town?

Greetings, Lone Olesen