LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.05.16 (13) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 23:50:24 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.MAY.2002 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.05.15 (04) [LS/German]

Hello to all of You !

In an other posting I asked for help to solve a problem with the
displaying
of special characters in my texts. After having made some little changes
on
my system I now send my reply on Fiete Neumanns posting once again.
Let's
hope that was all and You can read my letters in future.

Best wishes
Holger

Moin Fiete, moin le:ghlanners !
Dor is wiers 'n grôd ferske:l tüsken 't plat fan ferske:lend
kuntra:jen.
Dat is o:k äien fan däi o:ersóken doerföör, dat o:stfräies
baukdrükkers up
stünts häil ghi:n bauken up plat u:tdaun mööghent um dat dor tau min
ko:pers tau ferwachten bünt - bu:ten 't O:stfräisland bünt süks
bauken dan ja näit me:er tau ferko:pen un hier le:sent o:k näit al tau
fööl
minsken plat. Annersuem ferstónt däi lüü hier wal fóken dat plat
fan anner
kuntra:jen man dat lüd höör frömd tau un fa:lt stuer tau le:sen.
Däi fertellsels uem Harry Potter bünt häiel mo:j - 't is wal näit
wat ik anners so: lês man ik heb d'r 'n büelt plesäer fan hat - up
düütsk.
Un ik bün ba:ng dor sghal ik tau min ti:d tau hebben as dat ik d'r 'n
näje
o:wersetten in 't o:stfräisk plat tauhôp bräeng. Ik heb d'r no wat
anners an 't lo:p - un ki:kt ins 'n poer rîgh ho:gherder - wel sal dat
wal
u:tdaun ?

Kumpelment
Holger

Hello Fiete, hello Lowlanders !
There are really great differences between Low Saxon from distinct
areas. That is one of the reasons for Eastern Friesland editors to
prefer
books in German instead of Eastern Friesland Low Saxon because they
can't
sell enough for a good profit. Outside Eastern Friesland such books
couldn't
be sold because people won't understand and the number of Platt-readers
in
Eastern Friesland is quite low. On the other hand many people in Eastern
Friesland are able to understand Platt (Low Saxon) from other areas but
it sounds too strange for them and they feel uneasy to read.
The Harry Potter stories are very nice - not what I normally read but
nevertheless I had  great pleasure reading them - in German.
I fear I won't have the time to make a translation into Eastern
Friesland
LS. I have some other work running and - have a look a few lines above -
where to find an editor ?

Kind regards
Holger