LL-L "Grammar" 2002.05.31 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 31 21:30:21 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.MAY.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.30 (04) [E]

"Do" me this, or "do" me that, or "do" me [whatever] has become a fairly
common English expression, perhaps echoing or paralleling the Eastern
Nederlandish usage alluded to here.

----------

From: "Jan Strunk" <strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.05.31 (01) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

> >Keyn Varshe FORN FORN zey, nor keyn Vilne FORN (FORN) zey nit.
> >("To Warsaw TRAVEL TRAVEL they, but to Vilnius TRAVEL (TRAVEL) they
> >not.")
> >They do intend to travel to *Warsaw*, just not to *Vilnius*.
> >
> Yes, I'm familiar with the convention of repeating the main verb as in
> your examples. It's quite common in Yiddish, though I don't think it
> occurs in other Germanic languages.

Well, we don't use it very often and only jokingly, but
it's not uncommon to say things like
"Wollen will er schon, aber dürfen darf er nich!" in the Ruhr Area.
I don't know whether this is also used in other parts of Germany or
even in Low Saxon!?

Kumpelmente,

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Some of what Marco Evenhuis wrote about the use of 'to do' in Zeelandic
(Zeêuws) also works in Low Saxon (~ Low German -- Below,
Netherlands-style spelling in { }, _sch_ [S] ~ [sx] ~ [sk], oe [U] (as
in 'put'), ôê [u:] (as in 'pool')):

> Je moe de beuter in de kelder doee
> (you should put the butter in the cellar)

Ji möött (sg. Du muttst) de Botter (~ Bodder) in d'n Keller doon.
{Jie meutt (sg. Dôê moettst) dei botter (~ bodder) in d'n keller dôên.}

> Wat doet 't weer?
> (What's the wheather like?)

Wat deit (~ maakt) 't Wedder (~ Weer)?
{Wat daait (~ maokt) 't wedder (~ weer)?}

> Aoltied doende weze
> (to be busy all the time)

alltied an 't Doon (~ Schirrwarken) wesen
{aaltied aan 't dooun (~ schirwaarken) weezn}