LL-L "Literature" 2002.10.31 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 1 15:31:14 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.31 (13) [E]

Sandy wrote:

>Does anyone know what the word refers to in the name of
>the tune "Cock o the North"? Does anyone know any words
>to this tune other than the "Auntie Mary had a Canary"
>type of doggerel?

Yes - Cock o' the North is supposed to be a constellation of stars, but I
couldn't tell you which one.

There is a version of the song by the Furies, I believe - I had in on tape
some twenty years ago and lost it. It's a very beautiful song, far from
doggerel. It's about a sailor who comes home to his girl/wife after a long
journey, bringing her back all kinds of treasured (mostly knickknacks,
actually), and, most importantly: himself. Here are some bits of text I
remember:

Cock o' the North, with a dream in your hand,
My love has come home to this beautiful land.
And he stands in my kitchen withhis eyes like the sun,
And his kit bag all full of the treasures he's won.

Then follows a list of all the things he brought, which I can't remember. I
think it includes a whale's jawbone...
Then:

Here in our beds we'll lie and we'll sleep.
We'll lie there and listen to the sounds of the deep.
And as warm as in summer, we'll sleep winter long.
Oh, my love has come home like King Solomon's son.

Sorry, that's all I remember... and if you call me up, I can sing you the
tune... :-)

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>

Ta dah - I dug up the whole text of "Cock o' the North".

Cock Of The North
Oh cock of the north with the dream in your hand,
my love has come home to this beautiful land
and he comes through the door with his eyes like the sun
and his kit's bags are full of the treasures he's won.

And below the old broom there's a tall luggin's tail,
a bat and a crow and the jaws of a whale,
and our kitchen is full with the smell of the sea
and all of the richness my love brings to me.

Come gather your treasures by our gardens and rooms,
and bring them along to the sweet little blooms
with the sun in the morning and blaze on your chest,
oh my love has come home from north by northwest.

And here in these beds we will lay and we'll sleep,
yes, we'll lay and we'll listen to the sounds of the deep,
and as long as the summer, we'll sleep winter long,
oh my love has come home like King Salomon's son.

Oh cock of the north with the dream in your hand,
my love has come home to this beautiful land
and he comes through the door with his eyes like the sun
and his kit's bags are full of the treasures he's won.

Regards,
Gabriele Kahn