LL-L "Literature" 2002.10.31 (09) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 1 22:14:06 UTC 2002

Sorry. This was supposed to go out under "Literature," not "Labels."
 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2002.10.31 (02) [E]

Hi guys,

If it helps, I had always heard that the Cock O'The North was a Gordon from
Aberdeen. The Gordons in folklore are considered "Cocky" and there is a line
in the ballad Glenlogie:

"He turned aroond quickly as the Gordons dae a'..." (as the Gordons all do.)

I have heard the gey Gordons referred to - and I will defer to our native
Scots speakers but I think it may also imply "proud" or even "prood"?

It could also be that proud people are crowing about themselves - like thew
cockerel announcing the day. Of course followers of Bonnie Prince Charlie
and the Jacobite cause wore a white feather in their blue bonnets and it was
called "The White Cockade."

After winning much of the British Empire for Queen Victoria (who would have
rather been a Stuart like most 19th century romantics) the Highland
regiments and Scots military in general were expected to be a wee bit
"cocky" and the did not disappoint. Who can forget the great toast:

"Here's tae us! Whae's like us? Damn few - and they're a' deid!"

a doodle do                             George