LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.31 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 2 00:18:34 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2002 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.31 (08) [E]

At 02:11 PM 11/01/02 -0800, Jim Gretch wrote:
>I generally agree with Robert Bowman when he writes regarding
>the "rout/root" pronunciations of "route":

I wish you'd not use this comparison, since the pronunciation of both can
be very, very similar in Canada and most people here would pretty much miss
your point.  Perhaps you're making the assumption that Canadians only
pronounce the words "out" and "about" in a distinct way, whereas in reality
all cases of the diphthong "ou" are pronounced pretty much the same way,
whether it's south, mouth, route, out, about, or rout.  That is to say,
however the speaker pronounces (see, there's another one) the "ou" in one
word, they will say it pretty much the same in all other words where it
occurs.

Ed Alexander