LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.10.31 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 2 01:12:14 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2002 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

Sending out mailings in Unicode format seems to be working.  At least I have
heard nothing to the contrary after I used that format in some of the
mailings, for instance today's "Etymology" 2002.10.31 in which Roman uses
some Cyrillic font.  Incidentally, this very mailing is in Unicode also.  If
there is any problem reading "special" character, please check in our
archive (which automatically converts everything to Unicode (UTF-8), or you
could check in your email programs for alternative view and sending methods.
So I propose to send all mailings in this mode from now on.  (You do not
have to if you do not wish to do so.)

This Unicode mode allows us to use characters we were not able to use
previously (provided the reader has a Unicode font installed), such as
Cyrillic ones, Greek ones (Έλλενικα), and (hopefully) IPA characters
([foÊ 'nÉ›tɪks]), perhaps even Chinese (中文), Japanese (日本語で書く).  (I'm running
a test here.)

Since my last administrative message we have been joined by people from the
following places:

Belgium:
   Antwerpen:
      Antwerpen
   Limburg:
      Alken [1]
   ?:
      Mortehan [1]
   ? [1]
Netherlands:
   Brabant:
      Den Bosch [1]
   Utrecht:
      Zeist [1]
Sweden:
   Västmanland:
      Kolsva [1]
United Kingdom:
   England:
      Devon:
         Exeter [1]
United States of America:
   Alabama:
      Huntsville [1]
   Arizona:
      Safford [1]
   California:
      Poway [1]
   North Carolina:
      Callowhee [1]
   Texas:
      Austin [1]
   ? [1]

Welcome to all!  Welcome back to at least one of them!

Best regards,