LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.11.03 (01) [E/Gaelic]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 3 19:37:01 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.NOV.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.11.02 (08) [E/S/Gaelic]

on 3/11/02 14:41, ntl <shoogly at ntlworld.com>:

> I'm glad you mentioned other areas apart from the states and Canada.  I
was
> very aware when I wrote my message of Australia and New Zealand ( amongst
> others ) as countries that Scots had emigrated to in significant numbers -
It gives me great pleasure to report that Australian census forms now list
Scots among the languages listed as spoken in the home. Think we give the
Scots tongue better recognition than the Scottish Parliament has done.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."

----------

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Dear all,

Failte go dti an Ghallda-L, a 'Chriostora eile'! An bhfuil triuir
Gaeilgeoiri anseo anois, a Ron?

It's a matter of linguistic folklore that New Zealand (which, as an
interesting aside, is "Nua Sealtainn" or "New Shetland" in both Gaelics,
retaining its Lowlandic connotations) was inundated with Scots speakers in
the 19th Century, with most of them heading to the South Island (Dunedin,
Christchurch, etc.). I've heard tell, although I've never heard it with my
own ears, that the phonology of South Island Kiwi is strikingly similar to
Edinburgh Scots and it seems probable, therefore, that if Scots forms or
words survived in any diaspora variant, it would be here.

>From the same childhood source, I also recall some talk that the local Maori
sounded like Scots. Too much like a patronising imperialist nursery rhyme,
though, I think. Still, it entertained me and fascinated me all those years
ago...

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostoir.

----------

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.11.02 (07) [E]

To Chris Ferguson:

While visiting a friend in Stony Point, NY, I heard the booming of guns at
night.  She said that this was mountain folk  of scots origin jacking deer.
She said that they spoke a form of English that no one could understand.  I
have never met any of these people myself.  Stony Point is near Bear
Mountain, also near West Point.

Not a Summer goes by whithout a mention of the Baymen in the New York
newspapers.  One article described them as speaking an "Elizabethan
English".  They live on offshore islands off Long Island and make a living
by clamming, lobstering and fishing.  I know nothing more about these
people, never having met one myself.  I know nothing of their origin.

Tom

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Críostóir:

> An bhfuil triuir Gaeilgeoiri anseo anois, a Ron?

Chan eil mòran, a Chríostóir. Tha mi 'ga h-ionnsachadh.

Tom:

> It gives me great pleasure to report that Australian census forms now list
> Scots among the languages listed as spoken in the home. Think we give the
> Scots tongue better recognition than the Scottish Parliament has done.

It give me great pleasure too.  In addition to what I already said about
Australia, we should not forget that among the convicts and settlers in the
early days of European colonization there were many non-English people from
the British Isles (including what amounted to political prisoners) who
particularly resented English power and thus were quite likely to maintain
their own languages if they managed to mix with compatriots.