LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.11.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 5 18:56:46 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.NOV.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

Some of you, particularly those who joined us more recently, have problems
unsubscribing, and the reason in most cases is that they do not read the
instructions and ignore relevant information and links that are provided
with each and every mailing.  This is really stretching my patience at
times.

Today alone, two people contacted me demanding to be taken off the list,
writing to all my addresses and sending it as a posting submission as well.
Both of them seem to have had problems unsubscribing themselves.  I gather
that because they wrote to me from addresses other than the ones from which
they subscribed, probably addresses to which they had our mailings
forwarded.  One of the persons only gave his first name: Rich.  Since we
have quite a number of subscribers with the first name Rich or Richard,
there was no way I could identify him, given that the address was also
unknown to me and the list server.  I replied asking that he provide his
original address and/or last name.  The message bounced back because that
account was over quota.  So this Rich is still subscribed and will have to
be until he catches on.

It is interesting to note that a very large percentage of people that cause
this type of problems are Hotmail subscribers.  Not only do we have
inconsistent reception problems with Hotmail accounts (something we have not
managed to figure out despite tests), but for some strange reason among the
subscribers who are not serious and are likely to disregard rules and
procedures the percentage of Hotmail users is very high.  (However, we have
some "older" subscribers with Hotmail accounts who do just fine.)  I blame
myself.  On our online application form I had put notes saying that new
subscriptions from Hotmail users cannot be accepted, but I have been
accepting them anyway (on a trial basis).  Maybe I should just wake up and
smell the coffee and realize that people who apply from Hotmail accounts
despite the Hotmail ban notice plastered all over the place are also likely
to ignore other notices, rules and procedures.  So, no more Hotmail (or
"Notmail," using Elsie's nickname)!  Applications from Hotmail accounts will
from now on receive a standard rejection response with the suggestion to
reapply from another account.  If those folks are halfway serious, they will
follow that suggestion.  If not, "buh-bye now"!

Please, everyone, familiarize yourselves with the subscription procedures if
you have not already done so.  You will find them under "Rules and
Guidelines" at our website:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/

Some people, including a couple of "older" subscribers, still ignore the
request to provide their first and last names with their posting
submissions.  (The two names don't have to be together necessarily, but both
of them need to be found within each posting.)  Whenever you find their
names or the missing parts of their names in square brackets ([ ]), it means
that I have added them.  I do so only a certain number of times and
thereafter will ignore such incomplete submissions.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L
http://www.lowlands-l.net