LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.11.08 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 8 20:35:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.NOV.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Helen Kitsnik <oranjeelf at excite.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.11.07 (02) [D/E]

Just wanted to mention that perhaps I might be able to give some help
concening loans in Estonian. It happens to be my mother tongue and I have
looked into it to some degree (not very deep, though). It does have a number
of LS loans, but many different German dialects have affected the language.
One is of course the Hanseatic league times, but centuries after that
Germans from different areas have influenced Estonian as well.

Helen Kitsnik

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Tere, Helen! Tänan teid väga, ja tere tulemast Lowlands-L'a!  It's great to
have you on the List.

Your point that Estonian has been influenced by several Germanic varieties
at different times is well taken.  I should have mentioned it in my inquiry.
In particular, I am interested in Lowlands *Saxon* ("Low German") loans, not
German ones (and for me there is a definite difference there), eventually
grouped in eras and dialects if possible.  No, I am not necessarily looking
for great volumes of in-depth information.  I thought that a general
introduction to this particular topic (possibly as a part of "Lowlands Talk"
http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/) would be of interest and would be
instructive for the general public (myself included), given that
traditionally everything has been labeled and generalized as "German".

Thanks again for responding, Helen!

P.S.: Of course, many of us know about one of Tallinn's landmark: "Kiek in
de kök", a tower (assumedly from Hanseatic times) whose "German" = LS name
means "Look in the Kitchen."
http://www.flat3.co.uk/europe/pages/981056.htm
http://www.tallinn.ee/est/linna_juhtimine/linnakantselei/kaubamargid/kiek_in
_de_kok