LL-L "Resources" 2002.11.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 15 15:50:50 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Tony Coyote <tonycoyote29 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.11.14 (01) [E]

"I suppose you don't really understand written Low
Saxon, I don't blame you, the opportunities to learn
my native tongue these days are just too small."

i'm extremely interested in learning low saxon. could
you be of any help in that? i found a few pages that
had some of the grammar and stuff.

Tony

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Tony,

It is good to know that you are interested in learning our language.  It is
still difficult to advise people as to how best to go about it and what
material to use, because ...

(1) there is currently no textbook or tutor in English, most materials being
in German and Dutch,
(2) there is no standard variety of Lowlands Saxon (Low German), nor is
there a standard
   spelling system.

If you have not already done so, please take a look at our resource guides:

* Online material:
Go to our website (http://www.lowlands-l.net/), then to Resources and then
"Links", and choose Low Saxon (Low German).

* Offline material:
Go to our website (http://www.lowlands-l.net/), then to Resources and then
Offline Material , and choose Low Saxon (Low German).

I hope this will help for now.  Hopefully material in English will be
developed with time.  Unfortunately, most LS scholars and activists are very
limited and insular in their thinking (after centuries of suppression of the
language) and have a hard time catching on to the possibility that people in
the rest of the world might be interested in our language, so they tend to
dismiss as unfeasible any proposal to develop teaching material in English.
Should this continue, developing such material might be up to us outside
Europe.

Good luck!