LL-L "Etymology" 2002.11.15 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 15 18:57:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Browne, Kevin at Astronaut <BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us>
Subject: etymology

Elsie wrote:

Kevin, singular: 'pikkewyn', plural: 'pikkewyne'.
The word probably derives from the Portuguese 'pequeno' i.e. "small'.

As an aside: The word 'Afrikaner' denotes a "white" Afrikaansspeaker and
there are more than 2 million Afrikaans mother-tongue speakers who are not
'white'. Also,
some 'white' Afrikaansspeakers don't like to be referred to as 'Afrikaner',
as I figure
all US citizens don't like to be tagged 'Yankee'.

Elsie,
thanks for the education on Afrikaner. I meant no disrespect. I know
a man from South Africa, with whom I speak Dutch, because my Afrikaans
is very weak, but I really like Afrikaans. Especially when you use the
diminutive (toontjie, bietjie, oortjie) and those other words like
hoep-hoepe and tinktinkie. Baie vriendelik.

By the way, some people here liked to be called Yankee. I don't mind.

tot siens en groetjes uit Florida

(Yankee) Kevin Browne