LL-L "Sociolinguistics" 2002.11.18 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 18 08:56:57 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.NOV.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Labels" 2002.11.18 (02) [A/E]

Folks,
Now that Afrikaans has come up on our Lowlands radar
screen, I would like to ask a question about the two
Lowlands languages which are prevalent in South
Africa, viz Afrikaans and English.
According to somewhat old statistics (1996,
http://www.cyberserv.co.za/users/~jako/lang/status.htm),
I found that native language speakers of Afrikaans
total about 5.8MM and of English 3.5MM out of a total
population of about 40MM, with the two most populous
languages being Zulu (9.2MM) and Xhosa (7.2MM).
My question is not about statistics, but about
perception by native South Africans (or other
interested parties) on this list, whatever your native
language is:
Among the Lowlands language speakers above, what
percentage do you think is bilingual, with the 2nd
language being the other Lowlands language?  And are
we talking about fluency or "gets by"?  Also, would
there be a significant percentage of Afr or Eng
speakers who would have a DIFFERENT language as their
second language?
How likely would native speakers of Afr or Eng, but
bilingual in both, be to speak a third language which
might be Zulu, Xhosa, or another of the total 11
official languages?  And would it be more likely that
an L-1 Afr speaker or an L-1 Eng speaker would speak
another one of the official languages?
Looking forward to your input.  Like Kevin, ek stel
baie belang in Afrikaans en sal graag meer oor die
huidige taal situasie in SA wil leer.
Stan