LL-L "Help needed" 2002.11.20 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 20 18:10:23 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.NOV.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Reynaldo Pimentel Damy Castro <rdamycastro at uol.com.br>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2002.11.19 (03) [E]

> From: Michael Arnold <marmanold at mac.com>
> Subject: Should I learn Dutch?

...and have really begun to respect y'alls opinion.  Since my father was
sent to
> language school in the military to learn Dutch I have been interested
> in "lowland" languages.
... However, I still love Dutch .  I have one problem, though... time to
take one more language on top of my German and Busines classes.  ... Dutch
or Russian?  ..more beneficial to me?.  I'm leaning more towards
> Dutch ..

> Thanks,
> Michael (The University of Alabama)
-------------------------

Michael,

I also love the ''Lowlands Languages'' and am very interested on learning
them all.
I've learned English and other languages on my own and naturally, I've been
learning Dutch - as my 7th language - on my own for more than a year already
(with pretty good results - I'd say)
As said by one of our fellows, Russian is more accessible, though, the Dutch
language is much easier, especially in your case, an English speaker whose
second language is German.
I'm just a young guy whose hobby is learning languages, but, I could list
some Dutch companies (since you've talked about businness - though, I'm just
a curious reader/student):
Sara Lee (Coffee industry or something like that)
Royal Dutch - Shell
ABN-AmRo
Amstel
Heineken  and many others ..

Not forgetting the Belgian business and the strategical position in Europe
(Brussels - The Capital of Europe), Dutch is spoken there (well, our Dutch
fellows could better explain or you might as well know that) and in Northern
France as well, I could speak Dutch.

Dutch is spoken also in South America and Caribe. Indonesia, perhaps(?).

Besides, Dutch is a nice and beautiful language, just like Dutch people. And
I would never forget to say that you would have the chance to have nicer
contacts with the nicest/prettiest women in Europe.

Well, I could write lines and lines about the Dutch language and people,
but, I think my words are enough to show my opinion.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to learn Russian, but, it does have
an importance and it is definitely (I think) the 'gateway' to Eastern Europe
and to (also) have nicer contacts with the Russian people (no words to
describe them, just wonderful people!)

Both languages will take you further and give you the chance to learn other
languages:
>From Dutch: You could easily get the Scandinavian ones and Afrikaans
>From Russian: I believe you might get the Eastern European languages

If I could, I'd learn both.

But I suggest you to start with Dutch. Het leukste taal. The nicest
language.

Have a great week.

*Folks, I apologise if I was a bit off topic*. Hope I was not.
**I'm just expressing my opinion. I welcome anyone's opinions and
corrections as well. Thank You. Bedankt**

Greetings, Groetjes*
Reynaldo Pimentel Damy Castro - Brazilian Lowlander
Santos, Brazil
rdamycastro at uol.com.br