LL-L "Resources" 2002.11.21 (08) [Ap/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 21 21:27:58 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.NOV.2002 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Appalachian" 2002.11.18 (04) [E]

At 06:36 AM 11/18/02 -0800, Ron wrote:
>The interviewees talked about their perspectives of being speakers of
>"mountain dialects" that are considered the most "hick" and "country" in
the
>US and tend to conjure up in many Americans' minds stereotypes of
"poverty,"
>"lack of education" and "ignorance."

Ron, Ah hav a frien frum the Virginia hill country, an Ah tole her one
time, now Penny, Ah was watchin a show on the TV there abowt cher UFO's an
Ah was rightly surprised ta hear that pretty much everone on it sounded
pretty much laik y'all.

Penny is great, because she is one of those Appalachian speakers who will
never lose her "accent", and bears up tolerable well to the comments she
gets every time she offers someone a piece of "paay".

I remember my father, who was a very well educated and tolerant man, with
way more than half his ancestors coming over to Appalachia with the
Scotch-Irish immigration, saying one time many years ago that it was the
Southern climate that made people there lazy and talk the way they did
(which I guess meant that they were too lazy to speak English
correctly).  So I think that we've probably made some progress since then,
but it's probably too late for most regional North American dialects, as
the pockets of real indigenous speakers grow smaller and smaller.

Ed Alexander, Canada