LL-L "Holidays" 2002.11.29 (04) [E/LS/Yiddish]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 29 16:54:45 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.NOV.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holidays

While most of our subscribers in and from the United States are hopefully
enjoying the afterglow of Thanksgiving (yesterday) -- and I trust they all
had an enjoyable day -- our subscribers in the Netherlands, Flanders and
Lowlands Germany eagerly await the coming of Sinterklaas/Sünnerklaas (Santa
Claus) on December 6, many of our subscribers are getting ready for the
first Sunday of Advent this weekend, and our Islamic subscribers have
entered their last week of Ramadhân and will hopefully have a most enjoyable
`Id al-Fitr on December 6, I wish, on behalf of Lowlands-L, all those
subscribers who begin their Hanukkah celebrations tonight  "Khag sameakh!
Gezunde un kheynevdike khanuke-teg zolt ir hobn, tayere khaveyrim, ful mit
nakhes un mit geliklekhe kindereygelahs!"

Below please find an old, favorite Yiddish Hanukkah song with my
translations.

Regards and goodwill to all!
Reinhard/Ron

***

Yiddish:

 khánuke, oy khánuke,
 a yóntev, a shéyner,
 a lústiker, a fréylikher,
 nitó nokh azóyner.
 ale tog in dreydl shpiln mir,
 háyse, gúte látkes esn mir.
 geshvínder tsindt, kínder,
 di khánuke-líkhtlekh on!
 tsum yóntev, dem shéynem,
 zingn un tantsn in kon!

English, R. F. Hahn:

 Hanukkah, oh, Hanukkah,
 a lovely holiday,
 a gay one, a happy one,
 there's none elsewhere like it.
 Everyday we play with the dreydle,*
 (and) we eat hot, delicious latkes.**
 Hurry, children, now and light
 the Hanukkah candles!
 On this holiday, so delightful,
 we sing and dance in a round.

*  a special kind of play top with Hebrew letters on it.
** potato pancakes

Lowlands Saxon (Low German), R. F. Hahn:

 Chanukka, och, Chanukka!
 'n Fier, schöön un riek,
 'n lustige, pläseerliche;
 keen anner is er liek.