LL-L "Language attitudes" 2002.11.30 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 30 09:53:45 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.NOV.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Erdu Prince <man_ppp at hotmail.com>
Subject: Language attitudes

Beste liëglanners,

I think that most Dutch and Belgian people will go to great lengths whenever
they have a non-Dutch speaking guest amidst them...but at the same time they
don't like those guests that sort of require to be addressed in their native
non-Dutch language. There is a subtle difference between a guest that shows
goodwill and a guest that wants to impose him/herself (be it out of fear,
uncertainty or sheer arrogance). That thin line is not absolute and can
shift depending on external factors. For those of you that don't like
terminology like host/guest or master/slave I could provide a balanced
solution that would go like this : Foreigner asks question in his native
tongue and Dutchman answers in Dutch...and nobody loses face...*s*
Such a scenario is not very desirable of course...
Everybody who visits, lives or works in a foreign country should at least
speak a few words of the local language I think...just in order to be able
to show that he is not some neo-colonialist or a barbarian. I am now living
and working in China, so please tell me : How would you cope with a Chinese
tourist in place X (outside China) that demands to be addressed in Chinese ?
(Bear in mind, there's 1.2 billion of them I believe). Don't worry : that
situation won't occur in the near future because most of them are very
eagerly studying English (well American actually) these days...and they just
loooooove competition.
I believe that the future looks bright for those that are willing to adapt
and learn from other people.
Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx